Updating Skyrim on STEAM will not work + SKSE installing issues.

thariir

Hi all.

So today i felt i had time again to pick up my gaming in Skyrim, so i started to update my mods as i have done several times before. It should be known that i have before managed to reinstall the game + all mods from scratch and the savefile survived and i encountered no errors.

So today when i got to editing what version of Climates of Tamriel to use when picking the different settings in it and then went into the game to see how it was, i got a message indicating i had an older version of SKSE installed, so i thought i´d do what i always do and install the new version.

Here is where it all went wrong.

I got the new version and i installed it as always before while looking at Gophers video on how to install. When i was about to start the game and use the GetSKSEVersion command, i got an error box telling me to update to the latest version of Skyrim. I thought this was odd, but i went into STEAM and tried to update it from there.

The major problem is that i am stuck at that point. I cannot update Skyrim, there is no betaoption to choose and no matter what i do, i cannot do an update.

1: In Steam and in Skyrim Properties i cannot pick a beta. All i read in the box is NONE - Opt out of all beta programs.

2: When trying to verify integrity of the files to update it that way, all i get at 100 % is - 1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired.

I have had a long break from my Skyrim gameplay + modding it and i am very new at this, so i am sure i have just missed some detail that is obvious for you, so any help would be much appretiated.

A second question to this is about a re-install, because if all else fails that is the only option left.

If i feel it´s time for a fresh install, i might as well reinstall windows as well, but how big is the chance of the game being corrupt leading to no other choice than to start over again? Don´t know if there are any special mods that more or less cannot survive a re-install without corrupting the savefiles or such.

Hopefully you can help me with this, and i´m sorry if i am a bit too detailed on the steps up to the problem instead of just lining them up, but i thought i´d be as detailed as possible.

With regards

Thariir

I'm not quite understanding what you were trying to do.

Were you trying to update SKSE via Steam?

Skse is a manual install: http://skse.silverlock.org/

what version is your skyrim?

there's no need to reinstall windows based on a game not running correctly.

If the problem continues delete Skyrim via Steam then navigate to the steam folder via windows explorer and delete the Skyrim from \steam\steamapps\common\ and then redownload it via steam.

After that install SKSE.

Then it's a good idea to get tes5edit and clean the bethesda master files: http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit#Quick_List_of_What_Not_to_Clean

scroll down to find how to clean the .esm's. Just load each .esm and follow the cleaning instructions.

I'm not quite understanding what you were trying to do.

Were you trying to update SKSE via Steam?

Skse is a manual install: http://skse.silverlock.org/

what version is your skyrim?

there's no need to reinstall windows based on a game not running correctly.

If the problem continues delete Skyrim via Steam then navigate to the steam folder via windows explorer and delete the Skyrim from \steam\steamapps\common\ and then redownload it via steam.

After that install SKSE.

Then it's a good idea to get tes5edit and clean the bethesda master files: http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit#Quick_List_of_What_Not_to_Clean

scroll down to find how to clean the .esm's. Just load each .esm and follow the cleaning instructions.

I am was trying to update my mods, and when i got to installing the latest SKSE from the silverlock site as i have done before it started to go wrong.

When loading a save, the version at the left side in my screen says 1.9.32.0.8

Regarding reinstall. The reinstall of my windows would be done if i was forced to reinstall my game anyways...but the way you describe and if i delete the local files from Steam and installs it again, in what way will that mess up my mods and their installations?

I install all my mods via NMM and nothing via Steam.

Also, about cleaning the files. Some say do it, others say leave it alone. I am very much so not a professional modder or mod user. I have runned BOSS to see if there where any errors in there, but my warnings where 0. There are a few dirty files, but that area for me is very new and i have not done any file-cleaning before at all.

Fresh Skyrim install fixes 99% of problems.

You'd then have to reinstall your mods again and SKSE etc.

Fresh > not so fresh and trying to update mods ;)

You might have mods that are out of date and no longer updated, good to check up on the actual mod pages.

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.6 AND http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited used together gives you a really good idea what mods are recommended and in what order to download them.

Fresh Skyrim install fixes 99% of problems.

You'd then have to reinstall your mods again and SKSE etc.

Fresh > not so fresh and trying to update mods :wink:

You might have mods that are out of date and no longer updated, good to check up on the actual mod pages.

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.6 AND http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited used together gives you a really good idea what mods are recommended and in what order to download them.

From where i sit, Steam would be the one i would blame. Before i have been able to pick to participate in the Beta updates and for Skyrim as well.

This is now nothing i can pick. Also, several times now i have had to start the game via the launcer and it resets my graphical settings as it does on a fresh install and Steam cannot fully verify the gamefiles as i said in my first post.

What version is the latest for Skryrim right now?

That is the latest PC version of Skryim

Skyrim will have no more patches, thus there is no longer an option to opt into beta patches.

I would guess that one of the following happened

1. a mix up in the downloaded version of SKSE i.e. you installed an old download by mistake

2. a mismatch in version between the installer and the 7z archive of SKSE. i.e. one may have been improperly packed

3. improper SKSE installation

Your Skyrim is up to date.

You cant use old saves on a fresh install.

there are no more beta opt ins or updates planned for Skyrim (as far as i know)

The part on you cannot use old saves on a fresh install, i have to dissagree.

I have re-installed my Skyrim twice and re-installed all my mods from the start, and since then played about 40 + hours without one single crash. I have around 80 mods installed, BOSS tells me 0 warnings, 0 errors.

This of course could mean that my view on fresh install is something else than yours, and as i said, i´m no expert on this.

The issue started now when SKSE tells me to update to the latest Skyrim version and nothing can be done Via Steam.

That is the latest PC version of Skryim

Skyrim will have no more patches, thus there is no longer an option to opt into beta patches.

I would guess that one of the following happened

1. a mix up in the downloaded version of SKSE i.e. you installed an old download by mistake

2. a mismatch in version between the installer and the 7z archive of SKSE. i.e. one may have been improperly packed

3. improper SKSE installation

I have re-downloaded it twice, but i will give it another go.

Found another problem that perhaps can point to a faulty file.

Everyting goes as planned when installing, but after it´s been added via file to NMM, and i open the scriptsfolder in my data folder and sort on date, there are no new files added :blink:

I have installed this with the assistance of Gopher and his video, that is even linked on the site where you download the SKSE, but when checking the scriptsfolder, no new files exist. I have installed about 4 or five SKSE versions in the past since i started modding, but this is a first when it does not work as intended.

You can use old saves on new re-installs. All that need be done is ensure that the same mods are loaded and in the correct order. However, there may be some issues if the mods were updated in the process.

Manually install SKSE. It is not designed for installation with NMM. The script files could be setup for installation with NMM, but that isn't necessary.

skse_1_9_32.dll

skse_loader.exe

skse_steam_loader.dll

all go in your Skyrim directory

while the PEX files go in your Skyrim/Data/Scripts directory