Are there more comprehensive Toolset tutorials?

If you haven't noticed already most of my posts are due to datoolset wiki not exactly being clear—incomplete console install instructions for steam UE users (but thankfully theskymoves provided a link for one), and 2 tutorials I tried to follow gave me two different weird game issues that took some time to stop.

But clearly some people can make mods and although many are impressive I am not finding what I want but can't find decent guides to make my own mods. I am not good with scripts, I need cut and paste examples but I managed to create items and get them in game almost too easily but anything else hasn't been smooth. I know how to switch out Warden and companion skills via Toolset and the your Characters game save file—it's a neat trick.

Is there any seasoned modders who actually know the toolset better than the datoolset wiki has poorly explained? And though I guess I could try to make a mod request I think it is better if I learned for myself, so I can adjust as I want in the future.

I'd love if I could make a class or specialization but that isn't working (though I have to admit I think my last attempt—say it causing and issue in game—I almost smoothly followed instructions but after realizing my issue I miss 2 things aka forgot 1 step and took one miss step). But I am so hesitant to try again without some guidance.

Or if there are simple scripts that allow me to mass addtalents or removetalents console commands instead of my running them one at a time each gameplay X / and even then I cannot see the skills I have added since there are for a class my character isn't (which drives me nuts). I tried using the "all talent" mod, but it doesn't show console added talents... and it is annoying having all the skills when I want only specific (hence the allure of trying to make my own class).

I also would love to know where I can modify companions (start gear/skills/etc.) for the game instead of each save game file (though that was a cool trick to find out, switching out Leliana's archery skills for what I wanted was nice, but having to do it for each game...).

TLDR: any decent modder tutorials besides datoolset wiki? or any modders who can help guide me?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by HollownessDevoured

The Advanced Party mod lets you build followers from scratch whenever they join up.

As for adding talents en masse, try this:

void main() {
    object oChar = GetMainControlled();  // This gets a reference to the currently controlled character.

// These lines check to see if the character has the ability and if not, adds it.
    // Replace the numbers (1,2,3,4) with legitimate talent identifiers and add as many
    // lines as you like.    
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,1))  AddAbility(oChar,1);     
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,2))  AddAbility(oChar,2);
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,3))  AddAbility(oChar,3);
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,4))  AddAbility(oChar,4);

}

Replace the numbers I put in there as placeholders with the correct values for the abilities you want to add.

Then you can compile it, open the console and type: runscript my_scriptname (whatever you called it). Make sure you are controlling the character you want to add the abilities for when you type the command into the console.

Also, note that the content of the old BSN was archived at fextralife before it shut down. You may find some helpful info and tutorials there.

Easy-peasy. Hope that helps.

The Advanced Party mod lets you build followers from scratch whenever they join up.

As for adding talents en masse, try this:

void main() {
    object oChar = GetMainControlled();  // This gets a reference to the currently controlled character.

// These lines check to see if the character has the ability and if not, adds it.
    // Replace the numbers (1,2,3,4) with legitimate talent identifiers and add as many
    // lines as you like.    
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,1))  AddAbility(oChar,1);     
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,2))  AddAbility(oChar,2);
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,3))  AddAbility(oChar,3);
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,4))  AddAbility(oChar,4);

}

This script doesn't work in the multiples, it just seems to add the first a random line assigned.

Yeah, it does. I just tried it with a newly created warrior, and it added the 4 talents I specified.

void main() {

// lines as you like.    
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,3024))  AddAbility(oChar,3024);  // Pommel Strike  
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,3025))  AddAbility(oChar,3025);  // Sunder Arms
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,3028))  AddAbility(oChar,3028);  // Mighty Blow
    if(!HasAbility(oChar,28))    AddAbility(oChar,28);    // Indomitable

}

If you filled it in with legitimate values, it should work.

If you tried to, for example, give those warrior talents to a rogue you probably won't see anything in the UI, because the UI doesn't display 2H talents for rogues. I don't know whether they would actually be added, as I've never investigated that.

I also don't know how it would behave if you tried to add a higher tier talent when the character doesn't have the lower tier talents in the same tree.

I'm not sure what you mean by "add a random line assigned".

I used the correct IDs but ya, I am trying to give Rogue Talents to a Mage (all the script did was give me Hidden Rogue talent out of all the talents I added), I have done it with console command but it is tedious.

The short and the long of it I want to never have to run a rogue (cause I am always a dual wielding AW) for chest/disarm so I add all the stealth and lockpicking. Then I like to speed up stealth with the Dark Passage. And now that I can do it with console I want it as a skill—some dual weapon skills (but not all, I want to cherry pick).

It's weird I cannot play a rogue past it's origin, I always go back to AW Mage but I love—giving two swords, speeding up the animation and more damage to off hand—talents. But every time I go to an old save I am re-adding a slew of commands

Ok so I decided to try to make a new class again. But take my time and when something goes wrong take a break and come back with fresh eyes.

I have to admit, each time I have tried I have found out missed steps, mistakes and missed things each time—and seems to be easier to go through the steps as well. But I'd still like it if I had someone who has successfully created a class to help guide me. I am at the Creating the UTC template file step but my class isn't on the dropdown (but I swear my last attempt it was (before I realize I edited a file that was suppose to be duplicated instead and had to delete all toolset files and mods and uninstall toolset to fix my broken game), so I must have done or not done something, I am going to go through my steps again later). But any insight would be appreciated.