Is Fallout 4 dead and forgotten?

Bonecrusher6621

I might consider it once I get a laptop. I have always wanted to dabble in and create mods for Fallout and Skyrim.

I am really not a fan of 'gaming laptops'. To me, that's a misnomer. There really isn't any such thing. They are extremely limited in hardware, there are no upgrades, aside from maybe more ram, and there is the VERY rare laptop that allows you to upgrade the vid card, but, those are EXTREMELY rare.... if one component fails, the whole thing is toast, unless you want to send it in for repair.... (not cheap.) And they are hideously expensive as well. For the money you spend on a 'gaming capable' laptop, you could build a REALLY nice desktop.

Most of that, isn't true (anymore).

I configured mine myself, with an i9 10th gen and geforce RTX, the (then) fastest SSD's & ram. All 'desktop versions'. Nothing rare about that (anymore)

All at a price >below< that of a comparable Dell gaming PC.

You where right, some 10 years ago. (at least on my part of the globe)

A desktop video card in a laptop????? Now there is something I have never seen. Got a link?

Sure, straight from my source, but its in dutch though: https://www.xnotebooks.nl/shop/laptops/xnb-titan-rl17-nvidia-rtx-3060-rtx-3080-desktop/

= 17" gaming laptop with a RTX 3060 or 3080 (Desktop version) & i5/7/9 desktop CPU.

Pretty the same as I have (the titan casing), but mine is 1,5 years old already

Ooooo, nice. :D

I am thinkin' the reason I have never heard of them, is they don't sell in the US, they appear to be Europe specific...... not even an option for an english translation.

I might consider it once I get a laptop. I have always wanted to dabble in and create mods for Fallout and Skyrim.

I am really not a fan of 'gaming laptops'. To me, that's a misnomer. There really isn't any such thing. They are extremely limited in hardware, there are no upgrades, aside from maybe more ram, and there is the VERY rare laptop that allows you to upgrade the vid card, but, those are EXTREMELY rare.... if one component fails, the whole thing is toast, unless you want to send it in for repair.... (not cheap.) And they are hideously expensive as well. For the money you spend on a 'gaming capable' laptop, you could build a REALLY nice desktop.

I configured mine myself, with an i9 10th gen and geforce RTX, the (then) fastest SSD's & ram. All 'desktop versions'. Nothing rare about that (anymore)

A desktop video card in a laptop????? Now there is something I have never seen. Got a link?

Sure, straight from my source, but its in dutch though: https://www.xnotebooks.nl/shop/laptops/xnb-titan-rl17-nvidia-rtx-3060-rtx-3080-desktop/

= 17" gaming laptop with a RTX 3060 or 3080 (Desktop version) & i5/7/9 desktop CPU.

there are a few sellers offering this laptop body - i guess also in the us. it is highly configurable compared to other laptops but in my opinion extremely overpriced - including the offered parts - compared to a desktop. and there is always the heat and noise problem (100W cpu + 250W GPU in best case for desktop parts) if you chose a capable cpu and gpu and you like to play hardware challenging games. not talking about the limited or not existing overclocking capabilities and main board and exotic bios dependency which limits platform upgrades and optimizations. and last but not least forget about the mobile capability - this thing is a 4,5 Kg brick with an additional power source brick. so i tend to chose desktop in favor after using such a brick for a few years. the new liio battery in my old rig lasted 1h with limited performance and was trash after 1.1year - guess about the guarantee of such a battery - 1 year.

Unreal 5 engine for Fallout 4 is too much .... and i don't think, Bethesda, sometime at the future, going to remaster this game. Unreal 5 is for games 10 times bigger than Fallout 4. There are many bugs don't fix yet from the company give the updates --Unofficial patch for this game i don't think is really fix, anything. So yes, Fallout 4 is for new players only and there are no many mods out there quests and new land don't really add new things. Also the 255 limit mod with a mod manager, kill the fun to add many mods and play Fallout 4, again and again. That's all. Thanks.

Edited by romalight

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I've been out of the PC gaming scene for many years and just got back in to it a couple of months ago. I switched to PS3 then to PS4 Pro but when they offered mods in F4 while axing external assets I ditched Sony and switched back to PC.

FWIW, I'm running Windows 10 on an i7 6700K w/48GB RAM with two 250GB SSD drives and a 12GB EVGA RTX 3600. I was on PC a long time ago, then switched to console, but wanted to switch back to get in to modding F3, FNV, and F4. I was playing Fallout 4 ok with basic mods on the PS4 Pro but suffered framerate drops bad in a lot of areas especially the downtown area. I was originally on PS3 and could never finish F3 and FNV because they ran so poorly and crashed constantly. I finally played all the DLC for F3 and FNV for the first time recently, that's how bad it was on PS3.

Flashforward many years and I finally get a decent PC running. F3 and FNV run amazingly well fully modded with 4K textures and tons of mods in Ultra mode. I had maybe a dozen crashes between the two of them in a combined 250 + hour playthrough.

Fallout 4? It barely runs. I've bought it 6 days ago and all that time I've been trying to get it to run stable and figure out how to get good graphics out of it. I basically have to set the graphics equal to and maybe a little bit lower in some regards than the PS4 Pro's to get smooth frame rates. I have a 60Hz monitor and I was more than happy with that with F3 and FNV and even F4 especially coming from a PS4 Pro with at least half that FPS or less a lot of the time. But to get consistent 60FPS in F4 I have to turn Godray's off, and everything else either has to be off or on lowest settings.

I'm really shocked that this almost 7 year old game won't run on at least Medium or High settings consistently. Ultra, I can kind of understand ... but I pretty much have to set everything on Low and tweak a few things here and there and make sure Godrays are off to maintain a consistent 60FPS in the downtown area and that RTX 3060 card isn't exactly wimpy.

Anyway, I saw you talking about a 3060 and just wanted to to say I have an RTX 3060 12GB desktop version and it barely runs F4. I don't have anything overclocked. It's all set to stock settings.

I have my fingers crossed that someone will hop in and say, "You idiot, you have to change this and that setting and it will run 60FPS in Ultra with 4K texture mods till your eyes bleed." but I have my doubts. :laugh:

Just venting here a little, forgive me, but I can't begin to tell you hundreds I've spent trying to play these damn Fallout games between multiple consoles that never worked right, different versions of the game on disc and download for console, and then had to turn around and buy them all over again from GOG and Steam. I swore I would never use steam after they screwed me on Half Life but I'm forced to buy games through them now it looks like.

I bought Half Life on DVD way way back many years ago. It said I had to create a Steam account to register it. No biggie. I was on dial up at the time and figured it would be no big deal to register the key and serial and all that. Steam took over my system and forced me to install a massive update that said it was going to take weeks to download on my pathetic dial up connection. I lost my money because I opened the box and you couldn't return software once it was opened back then. Anyway, I'm not a fan of Steam because of that and many other reasons. I see no need for it to be honest. This is the first time I've bought a PC game since that happened well over 10 years ago and I'm really having buyers remorse again with Fallout 4.

I have my fingers crossed that someone will hop in and say, "You idiot, you have to change this and that setting and it will run 60FPS in Ultra with 4K texture mods till your eyes bleed." but I have my doubts.

Close. Not that I know exactly what to change but:

My "portable desktop" has a lesser GPU as you do, but it runs FO4 set beyond Ultra (with ini edits) at 2300+ FPS, if I disable the FPS limit (you shouldn't as the game needs 60 fps, but it was a test)

Added 4K and a few 8K's to the mix, making it slower, but not as much. With an ENB I can get it below 60, if I turn everything on.

Did have to get a load accelerator, as the game doesn't handle SSD speeds very well by default.

The game doesn't need to run at 60FPS to be playable. Anything over about 25 or so, (30 is better) is fine.

With your hardware, you should be able to run the game on high settings, without too much trouble. If your machine is still struggling with that, take a look at what else is running when you are trying to play.

Also, are you running any mods?

The game doesn't need to run at 60FPS to be playable. Anything over about 25 or so, (30 is better) is fine.

With your hardware, you should be able to run the game on high settings, without too much trouble. If your machine is still struggling with that, take a look at what else is running when you are trying to play.

Also, are you running any mods?

Correct. In fact, as I meant to say earlier, it must be 60fps MAX! as it actually becomes unplayable above, as the speed is tied in with some of the game mechanics. (Lock picking for example) - Lower is fine, as long as it doesn't stutter or freeze of course.

• 2 weeks later...

...well, not sure about the game itself, although I do feel as if I'm releasing mods just before closing time ...

But it does look to be applicable to the forums.

Its getting rare to see something under a thread other then:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not counting the version where it says: 1 member, and displays my user name :tongue:

edit:

...and this first post in 11 days, is enough to mark it as a HOT topic ... :turned:

Edited by RoNin1971