No Hardlink Deployment

chaoticwings3
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

I decided to get back into SkyrimSE (with the 1.6.353 update) after deleting all my mods previously to make room on my main pc (didn't have any external drives at the time). However after installing SkyrimSE and Vortex on the external drive I cannot seem to get hardlink deployment to pop up. I tried changing the mod folder several times to different areas on the external drive. I tried changing the download destination to the external drive. I check the drive to make sure it was using a NTFS which it is (I didn't do a format before but it should still be able to work I think since it is the default format). I tired reinstalling the game and vortex multiple times. So far nothing has worked.

I did attempt to install the game on an external HDD before which may have confused it (I think). I wanted to change to SSD since the speed would be better. I went back to the HDD and deleted any instances of games and mods on there to hopefully fix the issue (basically removed the entirety of the games so I have to look for them again). Strangely enough the external HDD got mods to work with Fallout 4 but I cannot remember if I was using a different deployment method or not since it had been awhile. Even more weird it was using FATex format. The drives did both appear as D: since I have limited USB ports to use.

Just reinstalled SkyrimSE and the latest version of vortex (version 1.5.5). Scanned for game, mod folder on the same drive.....and still no hardlink deployment. Any possible reasons why this is? Been trying to figure this out for a couple days now and I feel like I'm going in circles.

If you're using an external HDD, make sure the file system is NTFS. Without this, any kind of links will not work.

That is correct. However the issue isn't with the external HDD it is with the external SSD which I started to use and the external SSD uses NTFS. I apologize about talking about the external HDD which may have led to some confusion. Mostly was just bringing that up because mods were working on there but not on the SSD after I did the move. So I'm kind of stuck on that. :/ I kind of don't know how move deployment works but wouldn't mind knowing how to use it if the hardlink deployment is not really an option.

Edit: So not sure why hardlink deployment still doesn't show up but at the very least the move deployment seems to work and isn't as confusing as I thought it was (mostly due to the fact I was getting deployment errors at first so I thought it had to be setup differently). Still would like to solve the mystery of the missing hardlink deployment option while everything seems to have all the credentials for it but at the same time I can at least use move deployment without much issue.

Edited by chaoticwings3

• Solution

If hardlink doesn't appear it simply means that for whatever reason your current config doesn't support it. Either the game and staging folder aren't on shared drives or the drive they are on won't allow it. It may even be a permissions issue of some kind within Windows.

If hardlink doesn't appear it simply means that for whatever reason your current config doesn't support it. Either the game and staging folder aren't on shared drives or the drive they are on won't allow it. It may even be a permissions issue of some kind within Windows.

Might be a permissions thing. I know sometimes within Windows after updates some things ended up not working right so I will check in on that. Thank you. :)

• 4 months later...