Vortex fails horribly with different drives on a system

dooferorg

There is a pure VFS extension for Vortex if you want to try it. https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/37

sounds like comparable to what mo2 does. the only problem with vortex is that this is announced as highly experimental and that i'm used to a stable mo2 which already fulfills all my needs so far for the games i am used to mod since years. the problem the most people struggle with usvfs is there is the need to run tools within the virtual environment. so far no problem for me but it is something you must get used to and it is probably true that there are compatibility restrictions for some games vortex cannot support with usvfs deployment. so far i've never experienced this for the modded games i play using mo2.

one thing i see many people complain about in vortex is the handling of the mod load order. i do not have this problem in mo2. i'm completely free to change the load order without any restrictions or any automatism overriding my personal load order decisions.

If you use the load order tab properly the automation won't "override your personal load order decisions". Setting rules allows you to say "always sort this plugin in this way".

For reasons of speed and storage I have a couple of Steam libraries on some drives other than C:

Vortex can't seem to handle this. The reason is the reliance on symlinks and while elevated permissions usually work to make a symlink across file systems, Vortex fails at it. It'll say the mod is install when in fact it isn't. If I run Vortex as Administrator (despite the patronizing warning) I got it to work, at least until the most recent update when it says it no longer supports making symlinks across file systems. Nor apparently any other deployment method.. it just clutches its pearls and refuses to do anything useful.

I tried make a mod staging folder on the same drive as the steam library for the game in question (X4). That also seems to be no good.

So, I'll just download the mod zips manually and extract them to the mods folder. It'll be a lot easier than fighting with this mess of a program.

Kind of a pity since the nexus mods thing used to be good way back when I was doing a lot of Skyrim mods but it seems they're going for style over substance for this.

PS: Before anyone asks, yes, I'm a crunchy old programmer of many years and bad programs annoy me.

I can confirm that symlinks do work as intended and that you should not run Vortex as admin (hence the warning).

By your description it sounds like at one point you got an error marking all deployment options as unavailable - could you provide the actual error message and elaborate on the circumstances that led to it?

We are trying to help users experiencing issues like that, but if you don't provide any details it's an exercise in futility. Please refer to this thread to see how to request support / provide information: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7332636-how-to-post-request-support-for-vortex/

one thing i see many people complain about in vortex is the handling of the mod load order. i do not have this problem in mo2. i'm completely free to change the load order without any restrictions or any automatism overriding my personal load order decisions.

There is a misconception that Vortex won't let manually control yourt load order. All that you need to do is hit this button to prevent auto sorting and you can drag/drop to you hearts content.
1265-1564516637.jpg

There is a misconception that Vortex won't let manually control yourt load order. All that you need to do is hit this button to prevent auto sorting and you can drag/drop to you hearts content.

i'm sure vortex is working fine like mo2 is. the problem are some users not using what they see in front of their eyes.

so we will never get rid of baseless complaints for both modding tools :wink: and the least i understand is that people seriously try to tell users to start a new setup with nmm...