Installing Mods: How to

Site Bot

Article link: Installing Mods: How to

I will take you step-by-step and soon you will be gaming like the rest of us. NOTE: These settings are based on windows Vista. If you are not using Vista then ignore steps 2 and 3.

FIRST, install Oblivion into C:Program FilesGames

SECOND, once you have the game installed and it appears on your desktop, right click and click on "run as administrator."

THIRD, click on StartControl PanelSecurity CenterOther Security Settings and turn your User Account Control (UAC) off.

NOTE: Disabling the UAC is not completely necessary. Disabling the UAC cuts off the annoyance of the permission request every time you install or open a program onto your computer. This is 100% optional.

WARNING: BY DISABLING THE UAC, YOU ARE OPENING YOUR COMPUTER UP TO MANY TYPES OF MALWARE AND OTHER ONLINE TREATS AND VIRUSES WHICH CAN INSTALL ONTO YOUR COMPUTER WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE. DISABLE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

FOURTH, download the Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) here http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097 (You may also have to set the OBMM as administrator as well if when you open it, it say Limited User version or something of that sort. So, just go ahead and do that after you download it just to be safe.)

FIFTH, download 7zip here http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15579 (You may or may not need this program.)

SIXTH, find a MOD to download start with an easy one first just to make sure it works such as this MOD http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18907. This MOD is called the Amulet of the Cheater by oblivion jigsaw.

SEVENTH, Make a file on your desktop and name it Oblivion MODS. Open the file and create a sub-folder and name it Amulet of the Cheater. Make a new sub-folder every time you download a new MOD so that it will be organized.

EIGHTH, Open your Amulet of the Cheaters sub-folder that's in your Oblivion MODS folder. Now click StartUser (or whatever you named your computer) and then click downloads. There should be a 7zip, zip or .rar Amulet of the Cheaters file in there. Now click and drag the zipped file to the Amulet of the Cheaters sub-folder that's located in your Oblivion MODS folder.

NINTH, Open your Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) and at the bottom click create. An OMOD Creator window should pop up. First, where it says name, type in "Amulet of the Cheater". next, Author, give credit to "oblivion jigsaw". Also, click edit description and just put Amulet of the Cheater. Finally, click on Add Archive and go to your Oblivion MODS folder then to your Amulet of the Cheater sub-folder and click on the zipped file and press open. (This may take a minute depending on how big the MOD is.) After it's done opening you should see the file appear in the blank window where it says relative path and file path. Now click Create OMOD at the bottom right of the window. After it's done loading and decompressing a window will pop up and tell you it's done, just click OK. Now in the main OBMM window will be two parts on the left will show you where all your active MODS are and the right will show you which MODS you have installed and your active/inactive MODS. You will see Amulet of the Cheater 1.0 in the right side with a green square. The green square means it's inactive. Click the Amulet of the Cheater 1.0 to highlight it and press activate. The square should turn blue and appear in the left side of the window. Now double click on the Oblivion shortcut on your desktop to bring up the main start page. Click data files and your MOD should be on the left with the rest of the games content that you installed off the disk. There should be a square to the left of the MOD name with an X in it. If not then click the square to X it. Click OK and start the game. Once you start it and you're in the prison cell press the tab button to bring up your menu and go to your inventory and you should see the Amulet of the Cheater there. And that's all there is to it.

NOTE: For some reason when you put the amulet on it makes you invisible but who cares.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the comments. When I first started playing Oblivion and downloading MODS I was always getting those annoying <!> every where after "installing" the MODS. Finally I started posting on the forums and asking for help and was only getting a little bit of help here and there so I decided to do a little trial and error. And I eventually found a way that worked so I decided to make this article to help out those new to the Nexus and those who don't know how to install MODS using OBMM. I'm glad you enjoyed this guide.

• 1 month later...

It is not advised to install Oblivion under "Program Files" on Vista machines because of the extra file permission security settings (UAC) and it is not advised to disable UAC.

To get around this, simply install to someplace other than C:Program Files, such as C:Oblivion or D:GamesOblivion.

LHammonds

swordsaber6, the start button is the button you click when you want to shut down your computer, access program files, etc... at the bottom left of your screen. The "user" mentioned will be at the very top of the start menu on the right hand side. Along with documents, pictures, music, etc.. Edited by KottonKing

I have a problem on 8. Unlike swordsaber6, i do know the start button.

So i click start, then "My computer"(fix me if im wrong) and.... then what? im lost. Please help

EIGHTH, Open your Amulet of the Cheaters sub-folder that's in your Oblivion MODS folder. Now click StartUser (or whatever you named your computer) and then click downloads. There should be a 7zip, zip or .rar Amulet of the Cheaters file in there. Now click and drag the zipped file to the Amulet of the Cheaters sub-folder that's located in your Oblivion MODS folder.

Now click StartUser (or whatever you named your computer) and "then click downloads" What do you mean by downloads? i dont see it.

Edited by camper489

• 2 weeks later...
"Downloads" is a folder under your user menu (start/user/downloads). It's the default place where all your mods will be sent to after you download them unless you set them to download somewhere else. I'm using windows Vista so that's how mine is set up. I don't know how yours is set up so that's the best I can do to help you. I hope it helps.