Installing Mods: How to

Site Bot

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Thank you all for the good reviews and comments. I made this article because I noticed that posting in the forums for help was much well, help. No offense to any one intend. I know it's hard to help people if you're not right there next to the to show them how to do it. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

Turning UAC off is leaving a door unlocked for virus and other malware. UAC was put in for a purpose, and that is to prevent a virus from making any changes to anything installed in the protected files (Program Files). Unfortunately, it sees mods as changes and blocks them. Installing games outside of the protected zone is an easy solution - changes to games will not allow a virus access to anything critical or allow them to take over your computer.

The first thing a virus that manages to penetrate that far does is make a change to shut down or redirect your antivirus program (redirecting makes it look like it is still working when it is not). Now they own your computer and can use it as a spam bot, or for denial of service attacks, or raid your data for things like credit card numbers. And you will not even know they are doing it. Running your antivirus may look like it is working, but it will not find a virus. UAC will prevent that change and show a message that will allow you to make the decision to specifically authorize it. Or not.

• 7 months later...