Failed to Update Masterlist help (ECONNRESET )

Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

Guest deleted34304850

picky - do you know under what circumstance vortex would suggest deleting that file?

i know its been recommended in the past, but that was for specific, unique issues - am i right in thinking that under "normal operation" vortex would not request that action?

That didn't really help me. I've tried making exceptions and even just turning Firewall completely off, and I don't have any other antivirus or security software. I've also tried switching internet connections (even though it was working just fine before the most recent Vortex update) and that didn't help either. So, is there any other way to fix this issue?

Guest deleted34304850

its pretty much always localised. i mean, i have no such issue and i've been downloading mods consistently for the last few days.

i'd ask you - what - if anything have you done locally in the last few days? it could be anything from windows updates, to new software installs and sadly for you an unintended consequence has caused your attempts to get to nexusmods via the api have failed which causes the econnreset error you see.

you could try to reset your router and see if that helps - but that's literally me suggesting you "turn it off and on again" which i absolutely hate - but it may be that such an action could resolve your issue. - wild-ass guess here.

its pretty much always localised. i mean, i have no such issue and i've been downloading mods consistently for the last few days.

i'd ask you - what - if anything have you done locally in the last few days? it could be anything from windows updates, to new software installs and sadly for you an unintended consequence has caused your attempts to get to nexusmods via the api have failed which causes the econnreset error you see.

you could try to reset your router and see if that helps - but that's literally me suggesting you "turn it off and on again" which i absolutely hate - but it may be that such an action could resolve your issue. - wild-ass guess here.

That's the weird part. I haven't done anything like that locally. No updates, no software installs, nothing. I also don't personally have access to the router myself, so I'm not able to reset it myself. I'd have to file for that.

As for other fixes, I mentioned some before in another forum that I tried, which I should add to tbh.

• Purging everything on Vortex
  • Resetting my computer *many* times
  • Installing a new Vortex application
  • Completely removing Vortex and installing it again
  • Switching internet connections
  • Lowering my mod count
  • Literally just waiting
  • Installing an earlier Vortex build
  • Disabling Windows Firewall
  • Resetting network connection
  • Troubleshooting network connection
  • Switching games
  • Running tracert api.nexusmods.com in the command prompt
  • Running ipconfig /flushdn in the command prompt
  • Switching games

None of these attempted fixes have worked at all

Edited by CompletelyLegitUsername

It happens to me every time I open Vortex. It outright refuses to load the masterlist while saying to delete it so it forces a new download. That doesn't help anything, though, in my admittedly limited experience. It's also combining with an ECONNRESET error.

I feel like the issues from my post/thread here and katie916's post/thread here might be related to this issue.

Edited by CompletelyLegitUsername

just do what i do and install it manually and hope you do not f*#@ the game over lol while you wait for some 1 to eventually fix it

Merged three threads about basically the same thing.

In the latest version of Vortex we updated LOOT to v0.18 - part of this change required a change to the way the masterlist was downloaded. For 99% of users there is no problem. For those with the ECONNRESET error, there's something up with your connection causing whatever server now hosts the masterlist to reject your connection. This is very unlikely to be something we can do anything about as neither the LOOT list or the server are under our control.

Merged three threads about basically the same thing.

In the latest version of Vortex we updated LOOT to v0.18 - part of this change required a change to the way the masterlist was downloaded. For 99% of users there is no problem. For those with the ECONNRESET error, there's something up with your connection causing whatever server now hosts the masterlist to reject your connection. This is very unlikely to be something we can do anything about as neither the LOOT list or the server are under our control.

Is there anything that can be done to fix it on our end?

• Solution

It's really difficult to provide help for these kinds of issues.

First of all, what this isn't:

- This error isn't caused by LOOT. Since the latest version Vortex downloads the masterlist itself. The error message about deleting the masterlist directory is also a bit outdated, since that update I can almost guarantee it won't help.

- ECONNRESET is also *not* a permission error, it's a network error.

- It's not a bug in Vortex

As I explained in the other thread: ECONNEREST means that the network connection was interrupted outside of Vortex's control, either by the server or your router/firewall/proxy or the backend.

Since it seems to affect you reproducibly and isn't intermittent, it's safe to say this isn't a server issue.

Do you use a regular consumer ISP or are you on a university campus or military network or anything like that?

If you live in China, they block various websites including github of course.

If it's none of that, that leaves only local network setup: your PC and its firewall/AV, router with _its_ firewall, proxy settings, ...

• 3 months later...