Error: Failed to Initialize Renderer

HaseoSkeith1701

Every time I try to run this game I always get this error message: Failed to Initialize Renderer. Which isn't very helpful since it doesn't actually say whats wrong. All my searches seem to indicate that it might be a video card conflict but I have yet to find a workable fix. I've tried finding updates for my drivers but I keep running into to sites that want me to install their programs. Which leaves me concerned about getting infected with malware and viruses.

Anyways I'm using a Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card on a Windows XP Pro system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have bad setting in your Skyrim ini files. Maybe your graphics settings are too high. It might also be that you set these files to read-only, preventing the game from updating your graphics settings.

Delete:

C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Documents\my games\skyrim\Skryim.ini

C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Documents\my games\skyrim\SkryimPrefs.ini

Launch Skyrim via SkyrimLauncher.exe to automatically create new ini files.

Edited by steve40

You have bad setting in your Skyrim ini files. Maybe your graphics settings are too high. It might also be that you set these files to read-only, preventing the game from updating your graphics settings.

Delete:

C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Documents\my games\skyrim\Skryim.ini

C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Documents\my games\skyrim\SkryimPrefs.ini

Launch Skyrim via SkyrimLauncher.exe to automatically create new ini files.

That was actually one of the first fixes I found and tried and even tried again after you suggested it. Still giving me the error: Failed to Initialize Renderer. So the problem seems to lie elsewhere. Another error I've gotten is when I try to go into the options and set it to Windowed mode. Not only does it show Failed to Initialize Renderer but it also adds: Windowed Mode not Supported on this Adapter.

Hope this helps.

I finally managed to find driver updates for my video card and installed them. Now I'm not getting the Failed to initialize Renderer message anymore. But there's another problem. The game loads and I try to start a new game and for some reason while its on the loading screen it just closes. Just vanishes from the screen. I've tried disabling the mods I put in but its still happening. Any fixes for this problem?

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I was able to resolve mine. I was having the same problem.

I was working off the default profile in MO, but then I created my own profile and was able to launch it from that profile with no problems. I switched back to the default profile and and got the error again. I have not had any problems launching from the second profile.

Hope it helps!

I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I was able to resolve mine. I was having the same problem.

I was working off the default profile in MO, but then I created my own profile and was able to launch it from that profile with no problems. I switched back to the default profile and and got the error again. I have not had any problems launching from the second profile.

Hope it helps!

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to find driver updates for my video card and installed them. Now I'm not getting the Failed to initialize Renderer message anymore. But there's another problem. The game loads and I try to start a new game and for some reason while its on the loading screen it just closes. Just vanishes from the screen. I've tried disabling the mods I put in but its still happening. Any fixes for this problem?

Hey im getting the renderer problem and i would like to know what you used to fix it Thanks

• 3 weeks later...