Why do vampire eyes glow?

gizmologist

Why do vampire eyes glow?

I'm trying to make my own vampire eyes that glow, so I turned to vanilla Skyrim for an example. The vampire eyes seem to use the EyesMaleHumanVampire texture set, which has an entry for a glow map, but the entry is blank. So where does the glow come from?

I've got a mod that provides new vampire eye textures, but none of them glow. Only the vanilla vampire eyes ... what am I missing?

Glowing eyes require two things - a mesh with glow maps enabled and a glow map texture. You control the strength of the glow on the glow map by using black. The darker the glow map the less glow the texture will have. The more colorful the glow map the brighter the texture will seem in game.

So for eyes, you'd need an eye mesh that has glow maps enabled. Then you'd open up the glow map texture of the eyes and make sure that everything you don't want to glow is black, before painting the area you want to glow with color. You then adjust the amount of glow with an overlay layer of black set to whatever opacity you want.

Edited by Oubliette

Thanks, Oubliette (which is the coolest username I've seen in a long time)!

Turns out my problem was that the eyesfemalevampire.nif (from Dawnguard) in my data folder wasn't vanilla, but apparently from some mod or another, which had changed the emissive color to black.

In the process of trying to figure this out, I went back to the very first mod I ever made for Skyrim, which was supposed to make Daedric arrows have glowing red fins. I could never get it to work - it CTDed every time an arrow needed to be rendered. This time around I figured out what I was doing wrong!

Well, it appears that glowmaps don't work on eyes. I can get them to work anywhere else I've tried, but not eyes. Perhaps this is why Bethesda went with the ugly black sclera (the "whites of the eyes") - being black, the emissive color is muted.

But that doesn't explain why the Black.dds glowmap works on Serana's eyes to suppress the glow after she is cured... more experimentation is required!