Pick your Housecarl?

ix09

When you become Thane of any specific hold, you get a Housecarl assigned to you.

It's like there's only one person per hold that's gone to Housecarl school, or set aside to be given the 'honor' to carry the next random adventurer's loot and be subjected to kinky dress-up barbie housecarl sessions.

As a matter of immersion, you'd think there'd be either a housecarl guild, training corps, cult, or faction/class of people who actually sign up for and dedicate their lives toward the opportunity of being someone's Alfred, Jeeves, Kato, Robin, sidekick, whatever.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone took several of the available stand-alone companions (with author permission), and dumped them into a housecarl pool where upon when some random adventurer dragonborn type suddenly find themselves Thane, they might actually get to pick out who gets to carry their burdens, get's dressed up in cute little costumes, or even forgotten in some home never visited after the first time?

It'd make sense if each hold had a stable of Housecarl candidates/trainees waiting such honors. where maybe the smaller holds might have fewer choices from the milk-maid and farmer class of NPC, I'd think.

Eh.

I just finished playing whiterun and the jarl gave me Lydia as a housecarl. I'm disappointed that there is no other choice and she can't be killed. I consoled her, and she won't die. I have a husband at home, and I hate the idea of leaving the two of them there.

Leave Lydia waiting in a dark dungeon and all will be well.