The Amulet of Scrye 28/2/05

The Inn of the Whispering Wood 7/3/05

The Lost Heir 16/5/05

The Sword of Perithia - total conversion 22/2/05

The White Wolf of Lokken 4/3/05

Valshea's Armor 6/12/04

Witch Girl Adventure (Tribunal version) 4/11/04

Yagrum Bagarn Improved 7/3/05

There are many mods out there and yet the read-mes often do not provide all the info needed to decide whether the mod is for you. This thread is for people to give info based on playing experience.

Only Mods that add quests and no simple dungeon crawls, please.

I'll kick off with 10 (in alpha order). Feel free to diagree/add further info but particularly to add info on the hundreds mods I have not mentioned. In particular anyone who is aware of conflicts I have not shown should post them. My own favourites are marked with an asterisk.

1. Beyond Ysgramor*

An extensive and interesting mod with a new faction involving many (linear) quests but also eight miscellaneous quests (for one you must have reasonable reputation points). It adds three new land masses. Your starting point is an island off Seyda Neen. This conflicts with other mods that put land masses in that area so turn them off before activating this one. One niggle, there is more to explore than is used in the quests themselves but this is not clear from the read-me. I kept wandering about thinking I must have missed something.

2. Cult of Clouds

Lets take control of the weather! This is a linear mod allowing you to rise to the highest level in a new faction (but not to lead it). Some of the initial quests are rather basic - not in itself a problem but it may irritate very experienced players. No new land masses and no reported conflicts.

3. Illuminated Order

How to dabble in necromancy! A mod that is extensive and quite amusing. I have to say that I did not quite finish it, for reasons I'll explain, so someone else may have more to add. It conflicts with certain Balmora expansions. I stopped playing when I found I needed to complete the seven in-game Daedric quests to advance. I had played them too many times to want to do so again. I could have cheated but... Anyway those intending to play it should know this.

4. Investigators

Piecing together a staff! Another relatively early mod of the linear variety. It involves no new land masses and therefore lacks the novelty of some mods but it does throw in a couple of 'puzzles' some will like. There are no reported conflicts.

5. Jeremy's Knights of Tamriel*

Some very spectacular armour! This is an on-going project that will involve IIRC 9 mods. So far 6 are available. Each suit of armour has a small quest, mainly hack and slash, attached. The more recent mods are longer and more complex than the first one or two but basically you are only doing them to get the suits of armour (all heavy). The only conflicts I have found occur with the Maran Knights. If you have Sea of Destiny running you'll find the KOT ship in the middle of the Daggersoul tavern rather than the sea. Both mods remain playable however. Also the 'Travel Essentials' mod cave entrance is behind a rock on which the Maran temple is built. Console command 'tcl' will get round that.

6. Korobal*

Become ruler of an Island and a Merchanting Guild! A very extensive mod in which you get a castle of your own and a whole four-storey canton. There are new land masses, although none conflicted with the other mods I had running. Interesting concepts include an underwater Telvanni tower and an underground guild of smugglers. The middle of the quest - when encouraging merchants to set up in the canton - gets a little repetitive IMO and I found myself adding items via the console. That apart it is enjoyable. The mod has a very large number of NPCs all over MW. Once started, do not change the active files as this causes duplicate NPC spawning and unexplained NPC disappearances. One quest did not work properly for me and required a little ingenuity but the modder was looking at it when I last contacted him on it and it probably works fine now.

7. Sea of Destiny

Become unbeatable in a few easy stages. Large landmass with a number of conflicts. A great deal of trouble has been spent in the exterior design of the mod, making it interesting to look at with an eerie fog-filled marsh hamlet and a small Japanese style kingdom among other things. Unfortunately the same care has not always been taken over the interiors (often lifted unchanged from MW) or left apparently unfinished. Almost all the MANY NPCs have only generic MW dialogue. The quests are all very basic 'kill' quest. Many strange buildings, situations and items are around apparently unlinked to anything. There are a lot of uber items and the amulet you receive at the end is the same as toggling God mode. Part 2 is said to be in course of preparation. If that corrects any of the above problems it might be worth a second look. Currently the main interest is in the external layout. Plus you can get a wood elf archer companion with companion-share, Woody Hood, from Daggersoul tavern.

8. Serene Tower

Get your own Telvanni Tower at level one (or maybe two). Basically this is a housing mod with a five-part quest to reach it. It has a conflict with Suran Underground though both are playable. You end with a full sized Telvanni tower overlooking Mistress Therana and an endless supply of mannequins. There are a few cheats - you can teleport (via the tower) to all mages guilds AND a shop in Dagon Fel and back. You can teleport to Tel Branora from anywhere. You get your own space in every mages guild and there are a number of skill books and scrolls, nothing uber, in these rooms. You also get a new merchant in Dagon Fel who has 50000 and will buy anything. Those who hate cheating, stay away.

9. Suran Underworld*.

Rule the thieves! The mod is extensive and mainly linear, though there is a five-part spin-off quest. It is for higher level players level 20/30. There are no new land masses but there is a conflict with Serene Tower. It does not affect the game play of either. In this mod you are on the side of the baddies but I doubt if it will upset too many moralists.

10. Witch Girl Adventure

This is a relatively easy linear quest that makes you cover most of MW. It is quite fun to play. The main advantage is that you end up with two companions a female Breton mage, Morgana, and a Nordic Fighter, Lief Ericsson, who (with the latest version) will accompany you to Mournhold and Solstheim. They have companion share which helps when looting caves and tombs. No new landmasses, so no reported conflicts.

Great initiative, Malchik! I thought this could be a fitting place to post the beginning of a conflict list I started on, and this is probably as complete as it ever will be (I just haven't got time to work on it right now)! It is a arranged alphabetically, and also contains a few bugs and notes.

Abigail's Petshop:

Also see: Cutthroat's Partners Mod

Balmora Expansion

Notes: If you have mods that add houses etc. to Balmora chances are they will conflict with this massive enhancement of everones favorite town... I know that it will NOT conflict with Necesseties of Morrowind or the Bank Mod by Indestructible, which both adds houses to Balmora.

Beyond YsGramor

Notes: The earlier versions (prior to 1.2) of this mod will have landmass conflicts with Sea of Destiny and Bloodmoon.

Carnithus Armamentarium:

Also see: Necesseties of Morrowind

Complete Morrowind:

Cutthroat's Partners Mod:

Abigail's Petshop; will conflict with the Cantina version of Partners.

Also see: Haldenshore

Notes: This plugin can mess up the landmass in many places, it seems to me like it's almost random. I know for a fact that it happens by the docks in Sadrith Mora. I have never had any real problems with this, but it can be annoying and ruin the flow of the landscape.

Dweller on the Watch:

Also see: Suran underworld

Fishing Academy:

Haldenshore:

Cutthroat's Partners Mod; Bittercoast Cantina will mess up the Haldenshore landmass, even though they are on opposite sides of Seyda Neen...

Legends of Ydumea

Notes: This is a huge project, and unfortunately it conflicts with Morrowind itself. This mod changes some dialogue so that when you get a quest where someone most follow you they will do the exact opposite of what you tell them to: If you say 'Follow me', they won't, but if you say 'Wait here', they will follow you... A funny bug. A new version has recently been released, but I have yet to try it.

Necesseties of Morrowind:

The Fishing academy; Slight dialogue conflicts causing the NoM fish-merchants to to refuse to talk to you until you've joined the Fishing Academy.

Carnithus Armamentarium; Both Mods add a building to the same spot in Mournhold.

Primary Need; Both are hunger/thirst/sleep mods, thus the conflict is obvious as they both changes or adds the scripts on vthe same items (food, bottles etc.).

Complete Morrowind; Only conflicts with Part 1, which adds cooking to Morrowind.

The Widow Fedaris; Her house is placed in front of one of the NoM houses (outside of Caldera), it's still usable but looks weird and the landmass is somewhat unnatural.

Also see: Suran Underworld

NewSummon:

Wrath of the Heavens; Both mods add a spell with the same ID, hence only one of them (whichever mod you load last) is usable.

Primary Need:

Suran Underworld:

Dweller on the Watch; changes the docks at Fort Frostmoth, and the same does Suran Underworld. This makes the docks look weird.

Necesseties of Morrowind; Both mods make landmass changes around Fort Frostmoth.

The Widow Fedaris:

Wrath of the Heavens:

Also see: NewSummon

Haldenshore

This mod adds a quaint little settlement on a new island near Seyda Neen. But times are troubled and thieves are about! There are a few sidequest, apart from the main quest, which can be found by talking to the people in Haldenshore. The main quest has you find the thieves that has taken up refuge somewhere near the town, and when you do... well, they'll be so impressed by your skills that they decide to offer you work! I won't spoil anything by saying what the quests are, but they are good and nicely scripted (As far as my limited understanding of MW-scripting goes). Bugs; When you enter the bar, be sure to save before talking to the bartender! A brawl will erupt and he wants you to stop it... But, alas, sometimes there can be no peaceful solution to problems, meaning that for some reason you can never finish this quest because when you knock either of the fighters down, they'll just continue attacking you when they wake up! This might not be a problem for you (I have managed to finish the quest once, and screwed it up about 6 times). In the readme there's also listed a bug with a parrying bracer, but I have never tried that particular bracer, so no comment! I warmly recommend this mod as it has few conflicts (Partner's Mod with the cantina is the only one I know of) and despite the above-mentioned bugs it is well done and entertaining!

Havish

This mod adds a large island west of Vvardenfell. You'll get there through a quest given at certain stages of either the mages, thieves or fighters guild. Once in Havish there are many things you can do; You could do some work for either of the three guilds in town, solve the mystery of the strange things happening there lately, go to the casion and make some money on one of the many cool and well-scripted games, visit the bank to deposit some money or withdraw EVERYTHING... You can also buy a house or simply explore the island. I have yet to discover any bugs or conflicts! This mod is really great, and, though I have not yet finished the main quest, I have to ORDER YOU to try this one! Created by JOG who also made Haldenshore!

Children of the Night 1

This mod adds a ship near Seyda Neen. There you will meet a beautiful and mysterious young bard, Ariela, who will join you in your travels. As time progresses you come to understand that something is not as it should be with your new companion. Your mission is simply to discover the truth behind Ariela's past and her fate. This mode involves romance and its content is of an adult nature. All in all I feel the mod runs nicely, a small bug in the ending was all I encountered. I won't recommend it as the contents of the quest didn't appeal to me, but if you want a decent romance, sure, just try it yourself! There are most likely a few conflicts, though I found none when I played it. I'm pretty sure it conflicts with at least The Partners cantina and Abigail's Petshop! There are also two sequels, if you like this one!

This is all I've got for now... I might add more later!

• 1 month later...

Right here are two more for you. Others' comments on any mod discussed are welcome.

The Hunt for the Red Skulls

A maze with a few side quests. The side quests are not particularly interesting or challenging but the mazes themselves, there are two, are quite fun. It is a teleport maze so you need to map what leads to where, especially if you want to visit the whole place. Not recommended to the impatient! I found no conflicts.

The Black Mill

This is a very big and imaginative mod that I had great fun playing. However there were some problems. I have been in touch with the designers who have sent me an updated version to test. Anyone else feels like testing it let me know. The designers site has a detailed walkthrough but I did not use it and got to the end. There are a couple of side quests that I missed and would not have found without the hints but they are not important to the game. I will report further when I have tried out the new version.

Valshea's Armor (name may be different) - Another mod by Jeremy, a ''tank top' cuirass (actually uses a mesh spliced with race torsos, amusing to run around as an argonian with an Altmer chest), loincloth, boots, bracers, and pauldrons, but there's no helm. It's balanced (Light armor, less effective than glass), with the loincloth down around Chitin, but it doesn't work with Better Bodies, since the mesh includes original bodyparts (there's a gap at the tank-top's exposed waist , and the hanging part in the back of the loincloth takes up the same space as your butt. Also, there seems to be a problem where one pauldron and both bracers are always Redguard. Quite a nice job, though.

Names are also inconsistent.

The Clockwork Tower

Summary: Right off the bat I must say this mod is a "must have." Let's just say that the production of the mod is really good. I saw somethings that I have never seen before. The dark hallways and neat little puzzles gave the game a greater sense of adventure and at some points even made the game scary. The story is pretty good. It tied into your actions pretty well. Though the mod was really good, it had it's problems. There were some interesting landscaping problems but nothing big. I'm actually not sure if the landscaping problem was because of Sea of Destiny (Sea of Destiny seems to screw up other mods sometimes...). There are lots of rare items taken form the game and added here to give the effect of a dwarven tower. You will see LOTS of dwemer plans and armor, I even found the puzzle box there.

Visuals: Usually all mods look like the normal Morrowind world... but this one didn't. When I was on the Island and in teh Tower, the lighting was amazing. I have never seen lighting like that in Morrowind. It looked like a completely different game. Though it does seem too dark at times, it gives a great scary effect.

Replay: I really have never met a mod that had a great replay value. This mod is just really good, not super replayable. You might still like it the second time around, but it can get tedious.

Story: It has a good strong story that involves an adventuring team and a powerful god-like creature. The only time the game gets really hard is when you fight this guy. I was using a lvl 30 character and i had to cheat to beat him. But the rest of the mod is good for a lvl 30 or higher.

Overall Score: 8.9/10

• 1 month later...

Ghostpath (Description taken directly from Morrowind Summit. I don't intent on plagerizing!!! Please remember that!)

So you think you're a hero...You've defeated every single powerful being currently in existence. You have more Daedric weapons than you know what to do with. You hunt Ascended Sleepers for entertainment. You can run Vvardenfall from coast to coast in under 30 minutes. In short, you're done. There are no more challenges for you.

Perhaps, then, the Ghostpath might suit you. A demi-place with treasures, monsters, spirits, and more. Wrest artifacts of great power from their owners. Test your skill against a gang of three Flayers. Just make sure you're a high-level character. If you're not, the monsters of the dungeon will ensure that you don't come out alive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, this place is HARD!!! Enemies can kill you with godmode! Great treasures, worth the fight. Be warned, do not attempt to open trapped doors without a probe! YOU WILL DIE! This was very challenging, great fights but i must say that i hate the Halls of Confusion! There is no way out! By the way, to get to this place, go to Sadrith-Mora. Then search around the hills for "An old Shrine" and well, the rest is self-explanatory.

Visuals: Same as Morrowind (duh). But low fps in the city of lost wonders hub, because of those energy streams.

Replay: Not much replay value. Once those treasures are gone, they're gone!.

Story: Very good. not much else to say...

Last note: In the museum in the City of Lost wonders, check it out! Just dont click the trapped treasure box!

THIS IS VERY HARD!!!

• 1 month later...

Name: Sword of the Perithia.

Description: Sword of the perithia is a total conversion for morrowind. It adds a ton of land south west of morrowind and plenty of quest. I have just played the beta so I dont think that it is finished yet. PS: Sword of perithia makes a new morrowind ini file so make sure to place the original somwhere safe.

Sword of peretrhia starts already after you have finished choosing Race, Class, and Birthsign. After you have choosen these things, you have been told to go straight back to the dock, where they will transport you to Vivec. When you are on your way the ship will crash quite close to a litel Island. There you will find a corpse who will tell you som info about his village. When you arrive to the Village you will se that the guards there are fighting against some orcs attacking.

Where the quest really starts is when you read the note on the corpse. There you will get alot of information of what to do.

Contains: New Main Quest and storyline.

The entire game is set in a new Kingdom.

5 new cities (Balmora sized and bigger), with several new towns and camps.

Over 100 new NPC's to interact with.

Countless dungeons and interiors to explore.

Over 80+ hours reported game time.

New monsters with new skins.

New weapons and armor.

A whole new look and feel.

Over 100 new side and misc. quests, not to mention a huge main quest.

A much more puzzle based game, similar to the old "Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda".

New classes, and spells.

A Haunted Forest, Massive Desert, Tall Mountain Peaks, Huge Waterfalls, Raging Rivers, Magical Forests, Pirates, and Giants, and Much much more!

My opinion: I am not shure if i liked it. Almost all the houses is just ripped out from the game. Another thing i miss is varieraty (hope i wrote that right).

And AGAIN I MUST REMIND YOU TO TAKE A COPY OF BETHSDA MORROWIND:INI FILE. or else you must reainstall the whole game. When you play Sword of peretrhia you cannot get back to morrowind and Cauis Cosades and many more people will be deleted.

Okay two more reviews. Please anyone who has played quest mods not listed in the first post you are welcome to contibute. If you disagree with any of the comments I'm happy to add contrasting views but PM me so I can put them in the right place.

The Amulet of Scrye

By wandering into a strange tomb just east of Suran you will eventually obtain an artifact that will let you speak with the dead. They have work for you.

I enjoyed this. It worked (and several of the mods I have tried lately haven't) and it is different in that the people you need to speak to are normally invisible. There are even invisible ghostly NPCs that are there for local colour only if you use the amulet!

Once you have found the second tomb there are four tests before you are accepted (one requires you to have a reasonable reputation level). Then there are IIRC five quests. Each quest has more than one part to it. There are no uber items nor are the foes you face too difficult. You can cope with this at a fairly low level.

There are no new land masses and the tombs etc. are in places that are unlikely to conflict with other mods. (Always remembering there are so many of these it isn't impossible that a conflict will occur.) A bit of fun - play it!

Annastia v.3.1

This is a compilation of three mods on the island of Annastia, making a satisfying group. The modder is said to be working on a fourth part. I will take each part in turn as they are not interconnected. There are three settlements Fang, Silverton and Port Blacksand and a monastery complex, imperial fort and dungeon complex to the south of Silverton. Transport from Morrowind is from Vivec to Fang. The read me is helpful and in a couple of cases necessary.

Deathtrap Dungeon

A dungeon crawl that is not simply a case of killing multiple foes. Save often and look at everything. You will almost certainly die at least once and probably more than once. You need to use your brain but not to the point of being overtired by it. Should be okay at level 15.

It starts in Vivec dock or in the Foreign Quarter plaza. There is no conflict with the island that does not even appear on the map and may therefore be deemed to be in a different 'dimension'. There could be conflict with any mod that expands Vivec dock.

A Tomb is south of the town but does not appear to be attached to any quest. It holds a few interesting artifacts.

City of Thieves

A good contrast - it is a city with many quests. The main quest is quite short and starts in Silverton. Silverton has only half a dozen houses but is close to a large ancestral tomb (miscellaneous quest given by the guy in the imperial shrine) and a barrow (frozen tomb) that appears not to be part of a quest. It contains little.

From Silverton you are sent to Port Blacksand a biggish town with several miscellaneous quests and two 'factions'. The Brigands faction works best if you follow the broad in-game hints about changing sides. The bailiff quests are not particularly interesting in themselves but in most cases lead on to others that are. I had one problem where an NPC (Nigedo) was missing a dialogue topic (Tacticus). In the CS I discovered that there were two different Nigedos. By using the placeat command to get the other one everything finished as it should. Others may not have the problem but if you do, there's the solution.

Warlock of Firetop Mountain

If you walk towards the Imperial Legion Fort something rather alarming happens to you and you will need to get help from the nearby monastery. Ultimately this will take you into the Warlock's dungeon.

Similar comments apply here as to the Deathtrap dungeon mod. Save often and search very carefully (do not miss ANYTHING). While it has a different look and feel to Deathtrap it is not so different in style. You might want to do another mod or two between them.

The readme mentions other mods the author used. He says that they are not needed but I had several error messages about missing textures. The game was perfectly playable with some walls and staircases appearing 'white' untextured. I have emailed the modder to see if the textures were accidentaly omitted from the mod when he put it together. Anyhow as long as you say 'yes' to each message it will not cause any real aggro.

Overall I found the whole thing very entertaining. You can even get to kill children if you are a heartless b'stard! (They are downsized adults so don't really look like childen!)