I have something to say regarding Collections. (all good things, I promise)

I am Glitter. I'm more widely known from Discord... across many, many modding communities.

This is a copy/paste of something I posted to the official discord's Collections channel... it needs to be both seen and heard. This is important. Feel free to share with anyone, anywhere, anytime, for all time.

Collections are just fine, as is Picky (and others) who oversees them. I was wrong, actually.
They, to me, are an actual godsend, and the only way I can even do modding now with my (rare, incurable, and eventually critical) conditions.
Every second of anxiety I suffer lessens my life by a near day lol.
With premium, you click a single button, Vortex dl's the tools, inis, and all mods' mcm settings and if the curator knows what they are doing, all you have to do is press play in about an hour and you're good to move on with your life. lol
And yes, Glitter just admitted she was WRONG. lmao
It might be the first time I have done so in over 22 years.
And yes... Collections inspired me to ever mod games ever again for that matter.
Most of the Collections I see, are either by guide writers themselves, or by actual authors whose mods are intensely complicated to set up. With Collections, even I can play SS2, or anything else for that matter.
~$5/mo, for peace of mind and more time on this earth, *and* I get my beloved modded games? I doubt I'm paying them *enough*, honestly.
I not only thank the Nexus for Collections, I thank them and the authors here for their neverending patience. They do what they love as a hobby, for their benefit and ours. And they forgave me when the anxiety in my life caused a flare which removed all sense from my brain. Not even my own family will do that.
Thank you.
~ Glitter

nexusmods mod collections are a reasonable idea and will be a valuable addon for a growing group of users - no doubt about that.

apart from that I'm still hoping that nexusmods is also working on a better solution for the whole community as punishing not just a few mod authors with this "grace period" in the past or to urge them not to publish any more mods due to lack of trust and missing solutions for the mod deletion issue, which still exists.

sure - me and others can live with the current situation without leaving the community and i have made somehow my peace with the loss of control over my mods - but the creativity and trust i felt before the 1. of July 2021 is blown away and and since then it never came back.

nexusmods exists due to the creativity of their community but there is still an obvious lack of creativity how to plan and solve a few problems while leaving so much potential for creating mods and trust in the dirt just to push collections *without limitation* even if everybody knows that the whole idea depends on mods, creativity and trust.

mod collections are a nice feature and for some users godsend but please don't let us forget that the whole system is founded on mods and creativity of the nexusmods mod authors and no one else and especially not collections fan boys or collection curators.

no creative mod collections will exist without creative mods!

so please do not overlook this dependency and let us heal the obvious issues and still missing options for mod authors and after that push the collections. i hope this message will not be endlessly overheard. thanks!

mod collections are a nice feature and for some users godsend but please don't let us forget that the whole system is founded on mods and creativity of the nexusmods mod authors and no one else and especially not collections fan boys or collection curators.

First, *I* was the one who read the same TOS the authors who walked away read... and had poo-poo'd collections for two solid years, and absolutely no one believed me when I said one click would be behind a sub. "No! It's all FREE!", you claimed. I *knew* it would have a fee.

The truth is, ads aren't paying the server fees, as most folks use adblock... add to this google adsense is shutting down this fall - they run every ad on the entire internet, even FB's. Let's face it - servers cost more money post 2020, and modding is growing more and more popular. Nexus Staff work for FREE, *and* pay for every download done for free out of their own pocket. Servers also have login limitations, fees for dl overages, all with additional fees on top of monthly fees. Altogether, I've no doubt Nexus must cost hundreds, if not over thousands to run *per month*. Collections *is free*, but if you want one click convenience, you should help pay for their servers... of course, this means you also get the collection of your choice in one hour, and not 14 (the non premium average for an overly extensive Collection).

Also, I want to point out it IS authors curating the collections... either they are a guide author making their guide into a Collection, or a mod author, putting a complicated mod they've made (Fallout 4's Sim Settlements is a great example here) into an easily updatable, curated Collection for ease of *use*. In fact, I've yet to see just any random joe make a common Collection. You *have* to know what you're doing for them to work. As you have to tell the Collection the conflict rules, how to install the tools, even the inis edits to make. When I say it is a one click and play install, I mean it.

You insult Curators as someone merely slapping, lazily, some LO together... but the authors making their very mods into fully working load orders, called Collections, ARE the curators!

I say it will revolutionize modding. YES mistakes were made. They were called out and issues solved. No, not everyone is happy, but as the old saying goes, "You can make some of the people happy all of the time, but not "all" of the people, all of the time."

I mean, do you all want to go back to downloading these mods the old fashioned way, like the Sims 4 modders still do? Via blog posts? Or illicit off coast megadrives in parts?

Or do you want the nexus to be able to keep their servers going at all?

*shrug*

Your choice, friend.

"I say it will revolutionize modding. YES mistakes were made. They were called out and issues solved. No, not everyone is happy, but as the old saying goes, "You can make some of the people happy all of the time, but not "all" of the people, all of the time."

I mean, do you all want to go back to downloading these mods the old fashioned way, like the Sims 4 modders still do? Via blog posts? Or illicit off coast megadrives in parts?"

why so harsh ?

my intention is not to insult anyone and i did not. but i was a witness of some ugly conversation in july 2021 and i don't like to discuss this anymore. i'm sure there are already serious mod collection curators and as i said there is and there will be a place for them and also for the mod collections but it is highly unfair to ignore still existing issues for people who do not want or need collections. and all i do is to ask not to forget them because they are no aliens but still a huge if not by far the biggest and mostly silent part of the nexusmods community.

and yes, i like and want to download all the mods one by one and test them one by one and endorse and comment them one by one since i love to have (and give individual feedback) full control over my game, my mods and the stability of my game. i also learned to read full mod descriptions - sometimes the hard way - because i learned this is essential for the stability of my game!

I'm one of the old school people who download the mods one by one. i would not trust my own collection or profile if not every single new mod was tested before. i learned my lessons in the past. and since i like to pick and test my mods individually mod collections generally are in 99% of the cases useless for me.

i think and i hope there is nothing wrong with it and it is difficult for me to understand that this is beyond some peoples imagination. am i an alien because i like to chose my mods individually and my experience is fine with that? i think not and i bet i'm not the only one doing so.

i think both ways of using mods have a future and will exist and both ways should be respected. the problem is if someone forgets to respect the other other way or side. and that partly happened - no doubt in my opinion.

so maybe you misinterpreted my post. it was not against mod collections i just want that all users and mod authors are treated equal, fair and with respect.

I'm not your opinion that the there is no good compromise possible to make all happy.

i think it is in the interest of nexusmods to work always on such a compromise but i can not and i do not speak for them.

i'm sure that we all can have a place in this nexusmods community without alienising anyone and we should. the question is if and how hard we try and how respectful and fair we treat each other.

i respect everyone who prefers fastfood but that does not mean that i have to prefer it or i recommend it. and modding works the same way for me.

if nexusmods will ever decide to just allow fast modding and downloading with collections mode without a full support of downloading single mods manually i'm sure my time will end on nexusmods and i hope i will get my money back for my premium account.

thanks.

Nexus Staff work for FREE, *and* pay for every download done for free out of their own pocket.

Where in the world did you ever get the idea that Nexus doesn't pay its staff? All you need to do is look at any of their job listings to see that they strive to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.

You could also check out one of their news posts that talks about their staff and office facilities.

You know who does actually work for free? The creators of the content offered on this site.

Guest deleted34304850

The truth is, ads aren't paying the server fees, as most folks use adblock... add to this google adsense is shutting down this fall - they run every ad on the entire internet, even FB's. Let's face it - servers cost more money post 2020, and modding is growing more and more popular. Nexus Staff work for FREE, *and* pay for every download done for free out of their own pocket. Servers also have login limitations, fees for dl overages, all with additional fees on top of monthly fees. Altogether, I've no doubt Nexus must cost hundreds, if not over thousands to run *per month*. Collections *is free*, but if you want one click convenience, you should help pay for their servers... of course, this means you also get the collection of your choice in one hour, and not 14 (the non premium average for an overly extensive Collection).

that is one of the most amazing paragraphs i've ever read on these forums.