How does Vortex folder structure detection work?

rawnight

I'm trying to figure out how Vortex v1.5.7 manages mod deployment and how it detects the correct folder destination to deploy mods.
Examples in Witcher 3:
Example 1: Using the same folder structure as the game doesn't always work.
dlcTest1.zip
|--> dlc
|--> dlcTest1
|--> content
|--> test.txt
Wrong Deployment in '\dlc\dlc\' directory (bug?):
\Witcher3\
|--> dlc
|--> dlc
|--> dlcTest1
|--> content
|--> test.txt
The correct one would be \Witcher3\dlc\dlcTest1\content\test.txt
Example 2: Using 'dlc' in the parent folder name doesn't work.
dlcTest2.zip
|--> dlcTest2
|--> content
|--> test.txt
Wrong Deployment (in Mods directory):
\Witcher3\
|--> Mods
|--> dlcTest2
|--> content
|--> test.txt
Vortex doesn't detect 'dlc' in dlcTest1 name folder like I think it does with 'mod' in modTest name folder, or is only that Vortex deploys by default in '\Witcher3\Mods\' folder when there isn't a correct game folder structure?
The solution I've found by trial and error is to create a dummy file in another folder, like the Mods folder.
dlcTest3.zip
|--> dlc
|--> dlcTest3
|--> content
|--> test.txt
|--> Mods
|--> dummy.file
Correct mod deployment in \Witcher3\dlc\dlcTest3\content\
\Witcher3\
|--> dlc
|--> dlcTest3
|--> content
|--> test.txt
|--> Mods
|--> dummy.file
Is there a better way to correct mods with the wrong game folder structure without repacking? Modifying the staging folder maybe?
Is there a better way to view the mod archive folder structure within Vortex without installing and opening the staging folder, or right-click/open the compressed file in Downloads?

Edited by rawnight

To be clear, this is a report that Vortex is getting it wrong with Witcher3?

diziet

Yes, in this case, I'm having a problem with Witcher 3. Also, I would like to know how deployment treats the folder structure, in other games too. I couldn't find anything in the wiki. Thanks in advance.

Edited by rawnight

I don't think it is a bug, exactly. It's that some TW3 mods (most older ones or by non-Vortex users) are packed incorrectly. I have had to re-pack the archive when this happens.

You can view the source code for the installers here: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/vortex-games/blob/master/game-witcher3/installers.ts

If you believe there is a problem I encourage you report it through the app and provide examples.

I have basic notions of Javascript/Typescript but from what I can see in the code Vortex searches for 'dlc' and 'mod' prefixes in the mod folder name. I have reported through Vortex because I think that copying 'dlcModName' to 'mods' folder is a bug. And the double 'dlc' folder too.

Edited by rawnight