Transferring mods

mstitel789

Hello! Please tell me how can I transfer the game with mods to a new hard drive. I have a folder with the game and mods in it, all together. If I transfer this folder to a USB flash drive, and then to a new disk, there will be problems like "path not found". If you just install Skyrim on a new computer and copy all the mods to a folder, there will also be a problem, I think so - the sequence of installing mods is very important, I changed their places and mixed them many times to fix bugs, how to transfer while maintaining the sequence?

ps There is a sequence column in Vortex, he installs it after installing the mod, taking into account the movement later, or just how it was loaded, but what did he move then he does not see? The whole problem is in the installation order, there are a lot of mods and it was impossible to remember what and how moved there.

If you need any screenshots, I can provide.

I'm confused, please help, who can, thanks.

Before you move the game, hit Purge on the Vortex Mods page. This removes the hard links. Hard links do not survive a move...

After you move your game, and tell Vortex the new location, just hit Deploy to reestablish the hard links.

Note: The mod staging directory has to be on the same drive as the game if you use hard links. So you have to move that also.

I am pre-coffee - so I will let someone else tell you how to move the mod staging directory...

If you install to a new computer then you will also need to transfer your Vortex setup in %User&\appdata\roaming\vortex since this has the database about your installed mods, there is a database backup function in vortex settings>workarounds that I have never used, I gues that is the backup you need but don't quote me on that! just copy everything in the path I quoted.

With the databases transferred then Vortex will still have all its conflict resolution info. Install Vortex first on the new computer before copying backover the backed up databases. Keep the backups until you have it all working:)

diziet

In addition to the excellent advice already given, read this before you do anything else: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Moving_your_Vortex_Mod_Setup_to_a_new_Computer

Moving all files and folders as recommended will preserve your game load order and mod conflict rules (if any).

Also, be sure to follow rmm200's excellent advice about purging before moving. If you don't purge, then you'll have a big mess to clean up.

If you follow the recommended steps, then be assured that you can successfully move an existing game setup to a new computer. (I've done it several times.) However, be aware that this is not for the faint of heart, because too many things can go wrong. That's why it's recommended that you start a new game rather than move an existing game setup.