Newbie Mod Maker

GinjaNinja1021

Hi,

I am very new to modding having only had skyrim for a couple of months but topping 3 characters and around 1000 hours mainly just playing with mods to see what can be done.

So I am taking the plunge and going to try and make my own (Super Original) mod: The Sword of Omens and the Claw Shield

I am teaching myself to use Blender at the moment and grasping the basics.

But I was wondering:

a) Is GIMP a good tool for textures?

b) Can somebody give me a good idea of what to look for in terms of coding software (preferably free) with some decent pdf tutorials?

c) Do you think its possible to make the sword change form when unsheathed?

d)Is it possible to have a ward on the shield when blocking?

e) Any ideas?

The plan is to start with the sword as a craftable object and slowly learn to put it into the game using a quest in the book of omens and maybe recycle original voices for the guardian.

Like I said I'm very new to all of this but work at sea so lots of free time means lots of learning. Hence the jumping in head first like a complete nutter haha.

Thanks for the help,

Mods-I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm also new to forums haha...

Cheers,

I think mod talk would be better than mod troubleshooting. Surely a moderator could move it for you, if asked.

On to the answers, that I can answer...

A. Gimp is decent at textures. It is free so that is a major plus. Just be sure to get the DDS Plugin for Gimp

B. What kind of coding are you talking about? Papyrus or something else?

C. No. The sheathed model is the same as the in hand model. You could make an actual sheathe instead of the leather straps found on most swords.

D. Possibly. I'm not sure, but there may be conditions that could be used to allow certain effects to take place at certain times. I've not delved too far into that.

E. Start slow and simple. Ask lots of questions. If you want to learn "fast" visit other Skyrim forums like Bethsoft Forums, TES Alliance. Make the Creation Kit wiki your new best friend.

So, your gonna start modding eh? You fool! Run now while you can!

a) Gimp is the best way to start for free I think but photoshop is worth every penny. Move onto it as as you can afford to, it's a different world.

b) by coding do you mean scripting? If so notepad++ (free) is really the only thing you'll need other then CK and some tutorials and you don't even need that, it's just super handy for scripting.

Skyrim school over at TESA is the best place to start for this and other topics.

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/113-esv-skyrim-school/

c) absolutely, I've animated telescopes, a dagger and I'm doing a new sword that do just that. Check them out via my profile. You use scripting and registering for animation events to swap models/texs as you draw/sheath

d)I bloody hope so, I'm putting one on my new sword! Yeah you can mate. You'd register for the animation event 'blocking' while the weapon is equipped. It would be a small script attached to the player.

e) Like most things modding is all about putting the hours in. None of it is impossible, there's just so freekin much to learn about everything!!!

enjoy yourself and put the hours in. you'll do great :)

Here is the hilt for the sword of omens more to come...

Im not sure about the texture right now or the holes in the guards i may add a layer and render tehm black and see how the metal texture looks then.

Im pretty happy considerign its only been a week. Hopefully i'll have a working WIP up soon.

Hey GN, looking good already :)

Consider putting shots like these up as development shots via your user profile/images/add image rather then in the forums (unless you have a specific prob). Add to mods section of latest images.

You'll get a lot more views/comments/encouragement because the footfall there is way higher then the forums.

Keep it up!

I would recommend - even when you just started modelling - just to use as few polygons as possible. Even with many thousands polygons there should be no performance problem but less is easier to handle, especially when it comes to UV mapping (the process of creating a 2D layout for the textures) and the creation of normal maps (textures that simulate details on low polygon models)

Like the hilt...i guess you could reduce the polygon amount to a third or less, even if you don't use a normal map. You won't see much of this part ingame as well so there is no need to spend many polyons on this area.

Btw, when it comes to textures or the creation of 3D details / normal maps i would recommend to check out Mudbox (i use it myself in my tutorials), zBrush or if you want free software maybe Sculptris.

greetings