Random CTD almost everywhere after update to 1.10.163.0

JonathanNighthawk

As for the title, i had an old installation that was working more or less good ... i had to reformat and reinstall (dead HDD), so decided to also update all to the last available version, so updated to 1.10.163.0 the game (GOTY edition), updated F4SE, updated last video drivers (gtx 965m sli, the notebook is old, i know, but i only have this), updated almost everything that can be updated from mods ... and now i'm having lots and lots of random CTDs almost everywhere in settlements, especially when i'm in building mode (workshop, building structures), but sometimes also just walking around, moving, shooting enemies, or just traveling ... say, 80% when i'm in build mode, 20% out from it.

Tried to change graphical settings til the lowest possible (included tweaking ini files), still CTDs ... tried to sort better load order of mods, still CTDs ... tried to see if some mod authors say that there was similar problems with their mods, nothing found and still CTDs ... restarted the game from zero, still CTDs ... uninstalled and reinstalled all the game and mods, still CTDs ... tried to start from a new install using less mods, still CTDs (also tried the "trick" to disable first half of the mods and then the other half, still CTDs in both cases) ... actually i have no ideas about what other to check or try, anyone knows if any of the mods i have can cause that, or have any idea about what other try, or know if there is any patch or fix for this ?

BTW, if someone reply, please avoid to use "spoiler" function, on my browser the "show" button don't work and give an "warning: class bbc_spoiler blocked" error, whatever it means (i'm not a programmer, don't know what it means)

Actually, my mods are these ones (plus achievements mod enabler, F4SE, MCM, a bit of green, and some other textures and meshes replaced , mainly with low res ones for performance reason)

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

WorkshopFramework.esm

XDI.esm

CWSS Redux.esp

Clipboard.esp

SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp

SettlementPrivacy.esp

BetterGenerators.esp

The Real Castle Armory.esp

Radiation Protection Ring 10000.esp

Binoculars.esp

WattzLaserGun.esp

MMsLaserRCW.esp

F4NV-AMR.esp

Mk41GyrojetHMG.esp

Kor_Highlight.esp

AlienAssaultRifle.esp

PortableRecycler.esp

WhirligigRadarStation.esp

SolarPower.esp

Solar Street Lamps.esp

No Aggro Impact Landing.esp

Stimpaks Heal Rads.esp

AdvSettleTurretSet.esp

move that workbench!.esp

ExtendedScrapperDistancex2.esp

ExtendedScrapperDistancex2Harbor.esp

LongerHeadlampLight3x.esp

Stm_DiamondCityExpansion.esp

DCENS.esp

SaveManager.esp

MoreAccurateWeapons.esp

BetterCompanions.esp

Infinite Range Quest Markers.esp

Move (Get Out the Way).esp

Cel Respawn Timer 48.esp

LessAnnoyingLongs.esp

Unlocked Trade Caravan Post.esp

WorkshopPlus.esp

Kor_Scavenger.esp

HangManEx.esp

RedRocketEx.esp

SanctuaryEx.esp

Rusty Face Fix.esp

BetterSettlers.esp

BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp

WorkshopPlus.esp

Better_Settlement_Defence.esp

MTM-Power Radius Increased.esp

Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp

Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp

Settlements - ALL DLC - Lights Out.esp

CastleWallsRepaired 3.esp

[777] Sanctuary - Reworked Roads.esp

AkaWaterWorld.esp

WorkshopRearranged.esp

Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp

ImmersiveScrapping_SeasonPass.esp

BreakTheWallsDownFarHarbor.esp

BreakTheWallsDownNukaWorld.esp

BreakTheWallsDownVault88.esp

BreakTheWallsDown.esp

Edited by JonathanNighthawk

> ilusaodigital : thanks, will try and check the log in the next days (busy repainting home, actually)

> pepperman35 : the base game does not CTD, at least til i reach Sanctuary outside the vault111, but as far as i start to load some mods (also just the basic ones, that before had no problems nor CTDs on the old installation) it start to give problems ... tried also installing different batches of few mods, like 8 or 10 of them, and also tried installing the mods one by one ... the strange thing is that it does not give problems at the moment you install the mods, but only after a while.

As example, once reached Sanctuary, installed mods, no CTDs, cleaned and built some houses, no CDT, gone to Concorde and finished first quest, then returned to Sanctuary, no CTD, started to follow minutemen quests gave from Preston, *without change any mod nor any settings*, as far as i start to build in other places differents from Sanctuary, starts CTDs and sometimes freezes, and (but very rarely) some visual C errors "program stopped to work blablabla" errors ... the more i proceed in clearing and expanding settlements in the game, the more CTDs i get, cannot imagine why.

If this can help, the NB is an old Gigabyte Aorus with i7-5700HQ CPU, dual GTX 965m SLI graphic cards, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD (the SSD is the only new part, old mechanical one dead), is a second-hand machine, but i checked all the components and all are working ok, also validated the game files (before install mods) and also that said me all was ok.

(sorry for the bad English, is not my main language)

EDIT: i just realized that i forgot to say i'm using win7 64bit, sorry.

Ok, i tried to install Buffout 4, but it does not work (yes, i installed also vc redistributable, xSE PluginPreloader F4 files in fallout 4 folder not in data, and Address Library for F4SE Plugins, as required on Buffout 4 page), more precisely, after the installation, F4Se loader gives me 2 different errors.

At first, when i launch F4SE loader as usual, it gives me this error https://i.imgur.com/6IBbcaS.png (it says unable to start program cause tbbmalloc.dll is not present in the system), and if i click on ok button, it give me the same error again, click again on ok, and Fallout 4 starts as usual (and as usual have CTDs randomly) ... if instead i wait, say, 30 or 40 seconds after the first error without click on ok button, i get this new error https://i.imgur.com/ce75cAN.png and then F4SE closes itself without launch Fallout 4.

EDIT: just tried to eliminate the files i added from Buffout 4 and xSE PluginPreloader F4, for check if the errors was really related to them, and now F4SE starts regularly as usual (ofcourse, game still have CTDs)

Hi Jonathan.

I was having a very serious CTD problem as well. What it turned out to be, in my case, was my plugins.txt file. Which is the file that the game uses to tell what mods you have, which ones are active, and which are not active.

To fix it, I went to the folder where the file is located "C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt" I right clicked on the file, and choose Cut. Then I went to my desktop, right clicked, and chose Paste.

Then go into your game folder, and find a file called Fallout4launcher.exe Double click that, and let the game start up that way. The launcher will then rebuild your plugins.txt file.

I DO recommend that you do this, on a new character, with all of your mods disabled in your mod manager. This will give you a completely new, clean plugins.txt file.

Then you can turn the mods back on, and load up into a new I meant, your regular character (sorry!) by starting the game thru f4se.

I hope that this helps. That CTD is huge pain in the *Bleeped* !!!

Edited by StormWolf01

Also Jonathan. SInce you just updated your game, I HIGHLY recommend that you download and include this mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497

without it, the newer version of the game will NOT recognize any older mods that were created before version .162 came out.

Edited by StormWolf01

> StormWolf01 : thanks, i tried, but nothing changed, launcher just create a new plugins.txt file containing just "# This file is used by Fallout4 to keep track of your downloaded content. # Please do not modify this file." text and nothing other, where i copied my plugin list, as i had done originally (i also have a DLCList.txt containing DLCCoast.esm, DLCNukaWorld.esm, DLCRobot.esm, DLCworkshop01.esm, DLCworkshop02.esm, DLCworkshop03.esm, one each line, in the same directory) ... i will try also the vcheck patcher you suggested and let you know.

Just one thing i discovered right now, when inside a power armor, i don't have (apparently) the same problem ... i mean, i just found a PA, wear it, and started to build in a new settlement (taffington boathouse), i practically scrapped everywhere and anything and built an entire settlement from ground (like, a pair of hours of time), and not a single CTD, then i exit from PA, and after less of a minute, CTD (luckily autosaved just at PA exit) ... i tried some other things, also in other locations and back in Sanctuary, when inside PA i can apparently do everything without have any CTD, outside of PA i have to keep using F5 every 30 seconds / a minute, cause i can have random CTD also just walking around.

Also, i have checked and seen that the CTDs are not related to any specific action or place, i can have a CTD just after a quicksave and few steps, reload the quicksave, and no CTD doing the same action til it re-happens in a different moment or place randomly.

EDIT: tried the vchecker, nothing changed.

Johnathan - Ugh :( I am SO sorry to hear that you're still having the problem.

Tho it bothers me that you have what is, essentially, a blank plugins.txt file. However, since you have the other two files, I am assuming that your mod manager has over-ridden that function of the game, and is doing that, itself.

Ok, so I know that you have a fairly large amount of mods that you're playing. When you updated your game, did you check through your list to see if any of them had to be updated, to go along with the new version of the game?

Try going to a save, from before you started having the problem, now that you have installed the version checker. Maybe it's a script that is baked into one of your save files that wasn't working correctly due to the game update. ANd what I mean by "baked in" is that mod errors get saved, into your savegame. And once in there, they will be present in any save that you make on that character after that. So that's one possibility.

But, now we know that power armor over-rides the mod that is causing the crash. So, with that in mind, I'm going to do an edit of your load order that you posted, with mods that I don't THINK would be causing your problem. So as to try to help you narrow down which one(s) is/are being that bad guy(s).

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

WorkshopFramework.esm
XDI.esm (I don't know what this one is)
CWSS Redux.esp (I don't know what this one is)
Clipboard.esp (I don't know what this one is)
SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp (I don't know what this one is)
SettlementPrivacy.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BetterGenerators.esp
The Real Castle Armory.esp
Radiation Protection Ring 10000.esp <- This one I suspect, as PA would over-ride this
Binoculars.esp
WattzLaserGun.esp
MMsLaserRCW.esp
F4NV-AMR.esp
Mk41GyrojetHMG.esp
Kor_Highlight.esp
AlienAssaultRifle.esp
PortableRecycler.esp
WhirligigRadarStation.esp
SolarPower.esp
Solar Street Lamps.esp
No Aggro Impact Landing.esp

Stimpaks Heal Rads.esp
AdvSettleTurretSet.esp
move that workbench!.esp
ExtendedScrapperDistancex2.esp
ExtendedScrapperDistancex2Harbor.esp
LongerHeadlampLight3x.esp
Stm_DiamondCityExpansion.esp
DCENS.esp (I don't know what this one is)
SaveManager.esp
MoreAccurateWeapons.esp
BetterCompanions.esp
Infinite Range Quest Markers.esp <- This might be a problem
Move (Get Out the Way).esp
Cel Respawn Timer 48.esp <- This might be a problem
LessAnnoyingLongs.esp
Unlocked Trade Caravan Post.esp
WorkshopPlus.esp

Kor_Scavenger.esp (I don't know what this one is)
HangManEx.esp (I don't know what this one is)
RedRocketEx.esp <- New Settlement mods can cause problems, if they aren't removed correctly. Which if the mod failed, it wasn't removed correctly.
SanctuaryEx.esp <- Same here
Rusty Face Fix.esp
BetterSettlers.esp <- Same Here
BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
WorkshopPlus.esp
Better_Settlement_Defence.esp
MTM-Power Radius Increased.esp <- If you're using this, it may not have been "removed" correctly
Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp
Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
Settlements - ALL DLC - Lights Out.esp
CastleWallsRepaired 3.esp
[777] Sanctuary - Reworked Roads.esp
AkaWaterWorld.esp
WorkshopRearranged.esp
Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp <- This one is dangerous. If it crashed, it could definitely cause a problem.
ImmersiveScrapping_SeasonPass.esp
BreakTheWallsDownFarHarbor.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BreakTheWallsDownNukaWorld.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BreakTheWallsDownVault88.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BreakTheWallsDown.esp

So here is my advice. And I don't like it, because NOBODY enjoys doing this. But, disable all your mods, and start a new, test character. Play for an hour or so, if you can, and see if the problem persists.

Then start activating mods 2-3 at a time. Avoid the settlement related mods, until the last. Avoid any of them that I flagged, until the last. Now, as I said, nobody enjoys doing this. But, at least, in Your case, you aren't running NEARLY as many mods as most of us do :thumbsup:

Now, if you can determine the bad guy(s) here, you MIGHT be able to go ahead and continue your regular savegame by keeping those mods disabled. You might not. If the problem is baked in, it might not be able to be used.

HOWEVER. There ARE new save game tools that have come out while I've been out of the scene for 2 years. I do NOT know if there are any that can get rid of baked in problems. HOPEFULLY somebody familiar with those tools will chime in with advice about them.

> StormWolf01 : Hi, i'm not using any mod manager (i have read in many posts that sometimes they cause errors), i install all the mods one by one manually and then enable them in the plugins.txt file putting their names there with an asterisk in front of them ... for the ones that only have a "NMM" or "Fomod" installer file, i usually open the ModuleConfig.xml file in the notepad and try to "decypher" what file goes where from where (sometimes is a mess, but usually i reach to get the correct files, and when is not clear enough, i just don't install the mod) .

Yes, i have checked all the old mods and re-downloaded all the ones that was updated, especially those that was declared "version-dependent", but a good half of them had no update, so maybe one or more of them are incompatible or may cause some problems.

Sorry, but the "spoiler" function do not work on my system (i don't know why, if i click on the "show" button i only receive an error that say that something called "class bbc_spoiler" was blocked for safety reason, and no other, but i don't know what it means nor what is blocking it) ... is for that that i use imgur for images and pastebin for texts, if that in the spoiler is a text list, can you please use it too ? (or just paste it here ? )

Anyway, yes, i also think that the solution you mentioned may be the only one for find what is not working after this update (or, at least, i hope), so will try to start with a new character with an empty plugins.txt file and do what you suggested, it may require time, but if is the only way, there is nothing to do about that ... i also reported the non-working Buffout 4 bug in its bug section, hope they can find what is that prevent it to start, cause it can be helpful to have a crash log (always wondered why Bethesda have not implemented it themselves)

Will let you know in the next days, in the meantime, thanks for the help :)