New spell doesn't do damage

Lear19

^ What Pasquale1223 said. You're using a custom script, so you need to assign it to your custom spell in the abi table, in the 'spellscript' column.

This kind of modification will be applied regardless of savegames. If you have multiple copies of the same script in Override, the one in the folder toolsetexport will take highest priority.

You could try doing some logging to figure out what's going on - starting with finding out whether your new script is even being invoked.

To do that, you'll need to create a plain text file called ECLog.ini and put it in the bin_ship folder where your game is installed. The ECLog.ini file's contents should look like this:

[LogTypes]
Script=1

Then you can put some PrintToLog statements into your script and you will see the output in the log file (it is in your documents folder > BioWare > Dragon Age > Logs > DragonAge_1.log). For example:

void main()
{
    event ev = GetCurrentEvent();
    int nEventType = GetEventType(ev); // CAST (directly from engine) or COMMAND_PENDING (re-directed by rules_core)

// This print statement will tell me if this script is getting invoked.
    PrintToLog("the script named " + GetCurrentScriptName() + " is running.").
    PrintToLog("and it received event type " + ToString(nEventType));

Finding out whether the script is getting invoked and what kinds of events it's receiving could help you figure out where to look next.

Okay, so I was dumb; the script works but for some reason incorrectly. Both my new Fireball spell and the old one act like a single-target spells for some reason. When you click it, you still get that big indicator circle typical for AOE spells, but unless you click it specifically on an enemy, it has no effect. And it works only on that enemy (or on me if I click on myself). But the explosion ignores everyone else in the circle.

Sorry for wasting your time, when testing I kept clicking on the floor, not on myself. Do you have any idea what could go wrong to change it from AOE to single target?

Edited by Lear19

Well, that's... weird. I've been wondering how you know which version you're using, especially if they have all of the same naming conventions and whatnot.

If you back out your changes, does the original fireball work?

Okay, it works now! I think I switched the columns in my abi_base.gda by accident, because the value of 7.5 AOE parameter was set to 0 for both of my spells.

Thank you two for help. I could never make it work without you!

Oh, wow - good find! I'm glad you were able to get it working.

Enjoy your new fireball!

Hmm... do you perhaps know why can't I export/save spell_singletarget.ncs file? When I try, it just creates the .nss one, with no .ncs in sight...