Good afternoon everybody,

I am currently struggling with something I thought would be very simple: Custom stairs.

I tried to make a stair that has the same number of steps as the vanilla stairs, but you can't walk up them.

Jumping up from step to step works, but not "walking up".

I had a look at some of the vanilla stairs with nifskope but there doesn't seem to be a collision mesh (it doesn't show up when viewing collision).

So how can I make custom stairs?

Good afternoon everybody,

I am currently struggling with something I thought would be very simple: Custom stairs.

I tried to make a stair that has the same number of steps as the vanilla stairs, but you can't walk up them.

Jumping up from step to step works, but not "walking up".

I had a look at some of the vanilla stairs with nifskope but there doesn't seem to be a collision mesh (it doesn't show up when viewing collision).

So how can I make custom stairs?

Maximum height custom step is 13 (in 3ds). If it is higher, the characters cannot climb it. When the steps are higher, then accordingly, they must be compensated collision.

A ramp can be as simple a box (very thin), sized accordingly, and rotated to match the angle of the staircase. You'd link the "ramp" to the staircase and then step up the collision physics. If you are unfamiliar with that process, kinggath's vid should explain the basics.

Take a look at SkyBridgeStairs01.nif for an example of a "stair helper." If you could find a staircase of comparable size to your custom one, I'd imagine you could do some old fashioned nif editing by copying the stair helping into your nif. Unfortunately, you can't see the collisions in nifscope so you'd have to then drop the piece into the CK to see the collision orientation (likely would need to be adjusted via trial and error).

A ramp can be as simple a box (very thin), sized accordingly, and rotated to match the angle of the staircase. You'd link the "ramp" to the staircase and then step up the collision physics. If you are unfamiliar with that process, kinggath's vid should explain the basics.

Ah, so just a regular "editable mesh" that is shaped like a ramp?

And the rest of the stairs (the actual steps) don't have collision?

Maximum height custom step is 13 (in 3ds). If it is higher, the characters cannot climb it. When the steps are higher, then accordingly, they must be compensated collision.

The height from step to step is about 6,75 "units", so that should be fine, right?

The height from step to step is about 6,75 "units", so that should be fine, right?

yes, character should be able to easily walk up stairs with that height and the npc too, if a navmesh is generated. npc went up the ladder with a height of 10-13 (I dont remember exactly how many, but no more than 13), and along the circular ladder (not without problems, because ai in game is one of the dumbest in the world, and they can bury their foreheads into a pole, or a wall at the corners). Edited by South8028