Can I assume you're making a custom collision for your stairs? If so, what type of material are you assigning to the stair collision? There are several materials you can assign that are specifically for stairs, StoneStairs and WoodStairs being two of them. If you, as the player, cannot climb the stairs, my guess is you don't have stair specific material assigned to the collision. I've been there before. Also, I've built some pretty steep stairs in the past and haven't had any trouble climbing them. I haven't actually witnessed NPCs using the steep stairs, but I know Dogmeat can climb them, and he is more or less an NPC. Stair helpers are more for NPCs than for the player. Here is a great tutorial for stair helpers as well as nav mesh cuts:

BTW, I typically space my stair treads at 16 generic unit intervals, more or less the same as vanilla stairs.

Can I assume you're making a custom collision for your stairs? If so, what type of material are you assigning to the stair collision? There are several materials you can assign that are specifically for stairs, StoneStairs and WoodStairs being two of them. If you, as the player, cannot climb the stairs, my guess is you don't have stair specific material assigned to the collision. I've been there before. Also, I've built some pretty steep stairs in the past and haven't had any trouble climbing them. I haven't actually witnessed NPCs using the steep stairs, but I know Dogmeat can climb them, and he is more or less an NPC. Stair helpers are more for NPCs than for the player. Here is a great tutorial for stair helpers as well as nav mesh cuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFbpGGl_78

BTW, I typically space my stair treads at 16 generic unit intervals, more or less the same as vanilla stairs.

Thanks, I didn't know that doors and stairs needed helpers either.

Do you know a way to generate navmesh on activators? For example, elevators, escalators, stairs retracting into the ceiling?

I did not use any special "stair material", just the normal "metal" material.

The steepness isn't the problem, I made the same stairs with double the length and it still did not work.

I will have a look at that video, thanks.

If you change the stair collision material to one specifically for stairs, I'm certain it would solve your problem.

The steepness isn't the problem, I made the same stairs with double the length and it still did not work.

If you change the stair collision material to one specifically for stairs, I'm certain it would solve your problem.

I assigned the wood stairs material to it and it works!

Strange that there is no "metal stair" material considering how many metal stairs there are in FO4 ...

I assigned the wood stairs material to it and it works!

Strange that there is no "metal stair" material considering how many metal stairs there are in FO4 ...

Right? But there's grass stairs and glass stairs, for all your grass and glass stair needs.

Good to know all this. It solves a problem I didn't even discover yet :happy:

As I just created stairs for my vault pieces mod, but I messed up the collision* so I was just about to redo them. Probably would have still chosen 'metal', busted my head on why it doesn't work for a while before ending up on this thread :laugh:

* = I did both railings with a single collision (based on 1 mesh with both sides), but that will include the space in between, where the steps are ... :down:

edit:

Got it to work just fine now. Without any further problems. Even Cait & dogmeat have no trouble walking up and down my stairs, so ... Thanks for the 'headsup' :thumbsup:

Edited by RoNin1971