Advise on toning down an "xxxxx_x_s.dds" texture support file

anjenthedog

I have a character that is using a femalebody_1_s.dds file, apparently a specular ?overlay? file, per this quote from something I read a while back

_s.dds - just had a look on it in PS, seems similar to the other object's _m.dds, same color scheme as the specular map mentioned in the _msn.dds.

Black = dark, less reflection/gloss, white = the opposite.

In her case, from playing around with layers and using it as a negation layer atop the original (once scaled to accommodate use as an overlay in Paint.net) I discovered that it's a combo of sweat/rain and glistening. (which is kinda what I expected and exactly the layer I was looking for). she's a bit "glowy" due to the shimmer it produces.

Can I just edit the file in paint.net, then use brightness/contrast to tune its effect down? Or is there a better method? I've fiddle a little bit with the main texture files before (smoothing, sharpening, adding a tat), but tbh, I've never edited any of the msn, sk, or s files

In addition, it's a 512x512 file, whereas the main body texture is 2K. Would scaling the image to 2k (and a little sharpening and noise smoothing as needed) result in any improvements in presentation in-game? Conversely, would that be a "bad" thing to do, ie, it'd cause problems?

thanks.

Edit: I posted somehow to the 'wrong' forum. This was meant for SE, not LE... having said that, it may be a universal for both our worlds, so unless a mod wants to move it, I suppose this is as good as anywhere...?

Hmm on second thought, nvm, go ahead and delete this (unless you see some general value). I'm going to cross post to SE, since I won't received reply flags here anyway, because I don't normally follow the LE forums