Why are Skyrim VR and SE now sharing a download folder?

Jedininjafuq
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

The thing is people have very short memories. A couple of years ago (actually more), when the CC was more active, Bethie would routinely update the SSE .exe every 3 or 4 weeks. Everytime SKSE64 would need updates , as well as the mods depending on it. Eventually it got so bad that the Address Library was developed to make things much easier (update one mod, as opposed to hundreds of mods). With the last SSE update to v1.6.xx, Bethie updated the compiler to Visual Studio 2019. Since this caused most memory addresses to change (something that didn't really happen with previous updates), SKSE64 needed a rewrite as well as Address Library, which in turn meant .dll mods that referenced the previous versions (v1.5.97 and previous) needed an update. Going forward, things are back to where we were pre v1.6.xx update. The Address Library has been updated and most .dll mods have been updated, too. The few holdouts probably won't be at this point. But that is the nature of modding. Things move on and rarely stay stagnant.

I think it's far more sensible to drop the "SE" and "AE" misnomer. Ultimately, you're talking about versions 1.5.x and 1.6.x of Skyrim Special Edition. The Anniversary edition is very similar to the "Skyrim" and "Skyrim Legendary Edition" difference, in that they're both the same but with different bundled DLCs. You don't need "AE" to have all the Creation Club content but it is the most cost effective way to get it all.

In terms of VR being separate, the idea was floated with the mod authors (who would be most effected by the change) and it was universally canned by VR mod authors so it's not going to happen.

Thanks guys. While I have prefered to use AE and SE, (just because it's easier to type everytime) I do think I understand better where you're coming from and I'll try to be mindful of your points in future. I'm grateful that you've shared your knowledge. As for the separate Nexus sites, I think what Showler had to say about version compatibility tracking is a much better idea. Perhaps that might be a thing one day. Until then I can find other ways to organise my mod library.

Which brings us full circle:

Does anyone know a good way to have Vortex recognise already downloaded archives in the download folder?

Edited by Jedininjafuq

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to repeat this, but don't have an answer yet, and it would be handy to know. For reasons already stated above, does anyone know a decent way to have Vortex recognise already downloaded archive files in the download folder?

It already does that? Hmm, well, it's not doing that for me, no matter my feeling. It's only reading mods from about a month ago, none from before the update mentioned toward the begining of this thread.

I have already detailed the problem, and if "it already does that" for you, as you say, then I'm not sure you could replicate it. Perhaps the problem is mine alone. Thanks for the reply, but if there are no answers or even friendly suggestions on this matter here, I guess I'll look elsewhere, or most likely work out a solution for myself.

Thanks again.

• Solution

The downloads tab lists all archives in the game download directories (not subdirectories though) doesn't really matter whether they were downloaded through vortex or otherwise, as long as they're in those directories they will show up.

The table can be filtered though and by default it only shows the downloads you haven't installed already, you have to click "View All Downloads" to show the rest.