Deleting Mods. How do I do it?

Gomezaddams51

I tried Vorex and I loaded the Skyrim Mods that I have and a few others off Nexus. I found out that several of the mods conflicted so I tried to delete them but I cannot delete them off the list. They supposedly do not load but they are still there. Do I have to delete the whole Vortex program and reload it to get them off the list of mods?

Also the program is not exactly user friendly for someone like me who can totally screw up a computer just by turning it on. I need detailed info on what to do and how to do it.

To remove a mod completely from Vortex, go to the Mods page, right click on the mod, select "Remove," then select both "Remove Mod" and "Delete Archive," and finally left click on "Remove."

You'll find detailed information in the built-in Knowledge Base accessed from the Vortex dashboard.

• 3 weeks later...

If Mod B has compatibility patches for Mod A, especially where the compatibility patch is a replacer, you may find that uninstalling Mod A leaves what appear to be Mod A files behind. Here's an example from Fallout 4.

I install the Better Settlers mod. I then install the Unique NPC's mod. Unique NPC's has compatibility patches for Better Settlers, including a replacer for the BetterSettlers.esp file, as they redid the face geometry to match their own. Uninstalling Better settlers leaves several files behind, including BetterSettlers.esp, as it came from a different mod. And I'll never know it if I don't look in the Data folder as Vortex has added a layer of abstraction that hides it.

So you may need to identify and reinstall every other mod that has compatibility patches for the mod you are trying to remove. That's no real problem with a small number of mods, but becomes an issue when you have several hundred.

Vortex is supposed to be a mod manager, but it is failing to effectively manage mods in this instance. It should know when it overwrites a file from another mod.

Edited by Roket

Your problem as described - makes no sense.

Better Settlers has a BetterSettlers.esp.

If you uninstall Better Settlers, every bit of it goes away, including it's version of BetterSettlers.esp.

If Unique NPCs also has a BetterSettlers.esp, that file is not part of the first mod. It is part of Unique NPCs.

It will go away when Unique NPCs is uninstalled.

Vortex manages each mod separately. All files contained within that mod are deleted when that mod is removed.

I would not have it any other way.

Guest deleted34304850

If Mod B has compatibility patches for Mod A, especially where the compatibility patch is a replacer, you may find that uninstalling Mod A leaves what appear to be Mod A files behind. Here's an example from Fallout 4.

I install the Better Settlers mod. I then install the Unique NPC's mod. Unique NPC's has compatibility patches for Better Settlers, including a replacer for the BetterSettlers.esp file, as they redid the face geometry to match their own. Uninstalling Better settlers leaves several files behind, including BetterSettlers.esp, as it came from a different mod. And I'll never know it if I don't look in the Data folder as Vortex has added a layer of abstraction that hides it.

So you may need to identify and reinstall every other mod that has compatibility patches for the mod you are trying to remove. That's no real problem with a small number of mods, but becomes an issue when you have several hundred.

Vortex is supposed to be a mod manager, but it is failing to effectively manage mods in this instance. It should know when it overwrites a file from another mod.

that is not how vortex, or any mod manager works.

• 1 month later...