About STEAM Creation Kit SSE COMPATIBILITY

Cthorthu

Hi!

Creation Kit have been released on Steam. This is good news. But good news are always bad news when talking about Skyrim updates.

I'm wondering:

This new version of Creation Kit is fully compatible with Special Edition?

Is it created specifically for the Anniversary Edition?

Anyone created plugin will be fully compatible for Special Edition in addition to Anniversary Edition?

There will be any issues related with the difference between SE and AE?

Links of interest:

Creation Kit Downgrade Patcher (Nexus Mods): https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/67096

Any comment will be appreciated

Have a nice day

Skyrim Special Edition 1.6+ and Skyrim Anniversary Edition 1.6+ are the same executable and would use the same Creation Kit version (the one just added to Steam).

Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.97 would need the Creation Kit version previously available through the Bethesda Launcher or the newer Steam version with the "downgrade patcher" applied.

Aside from the added Creation Club mods in SAE, a fully up-to-date SSE is the same as a fully up-to-date SAE. A mod made for an up-to-date SSE is made for an up-to-date SAE. The only concern would be how the mod interacts with the added Creation Club mods. Which is the same concern that has been in existence since Creation Club mods were added to SSE. In fact there is no difference (aside from money spent) between an up-to-date SSE install with every one of the SAE Creation Club mods purchased individually and an install of an up-to-date SAE.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have semi related questions and concerns:

I have been working on a mod for over 6 months (I still have between 3-6 months left on it I feel). I started the mod before 1.6 and have been happily working away using 1.5.97. I am now concerned.

I know I should probably upgrade to 1.6, get the new CK, but I am nervous of doing so mid build. In fact I am nervous of doing it full stop!

I am not accessing any CC content in my mod. I am using SKSE and PO3 currently, obviously builds for 1.5.97. I am unsure if my mod in its state, being built on 1.5.97 will work on 1.6. What types of things might not work?

I am looking for some advice on how to move forward. Ignore 1.6 for now, carry on my project, then upgrade before release? Fixing any issues that may arise then. Or Carry on and release hoping it just works on 1.6? Or back up everything and pray an upgrade now doesnt break anything? What should I specifically look to ABSOLUTELY back up if I upgrade now?

What would one do!?

Updates have always scared me.

Sorry again for the hijack, all my fears etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm interested on playing a modding 1.5.97, so probably I'm going to make a backup of "old" Creation Kit

Thanks for your response!

Skyrim Special Edition 1.6+ and Skyrim Anniversary Edition 1.6+ are the same executable and would use the same Creation Kit version (the one just added to Steam).

Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.97 would need the Creation Kit version previously available through the Bethesda Launcher or the newer Steam version with the "downgrade patcher" applied.

Aside from the added Creation Club mods in SAE, a fully up-to-date SSE is the same as a fully up-to-date SAE. A mod made for an up-to-date SSE is made for an up-to-date SAE. The only concern would be how the mod interacts with the added Creation Club mods. Which is the same concern that has been in existence since Creation Club mods were added to SSE. In fact there is no difference (aside from money spent) between an up-to-date SSE install with every one of the SAE Creation Club mods purchased individually and an install of an up-to-date SAE.

TyburnKetch, your fear is justified.

Accidentally I updated to 1.6, and game didn't run (was stucked on first black screen), probably because of my intrincated load order. Thanks to the "downgrade patcher" I managed to restore the game. My first recommendation is to make a backup of the entire "Skyrim Special Edition" folder. If you make a backup, you will no regret.

Said this, your issue is not so hard: New plugins may not work with older game versions, but old plugins will work with newer game versions. If you make a mod for 1.5.97, it will work with 1.6 SE/AE (except some mods based on Script Extender). It may have some minor incompatibilty, but this is how it always was.

Should you upgrade to AE? Upgrade if you want. The question is: Do you want? I think upgrading is a good decision for not modded game, but in modded Skyrim you will loose important content if you upgrade to 1.6.

My think: Make and release your mod in 1.5.97, it will probably work for anyone. If you "upgrade", it may not work for 1.5.97.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have semi related questions and concerns:

I have been working on a mod for over 6 months (I still have between 3-6 months left on it I feel). I started the mod before 1.6 and have been happily working away using 1.5.97. I am now concerned.

I know I should probably upgrade to 1.6, get the new CK, but I am nervous of doing so mid build. In fact I am nervous of doing it full stop!

I am not accessing any CC content in my mod. I am using SKSE and PO3 currently, obviously builds for 1.5.97. I am unsure if my mod in its state, being built on 1.5.97 will work on 1.6. What types of things might not work?

I am looking for some advice on how to move forward. Ignore 1.6 for now, carry on my project, then upgrade before release? Fixing any issues that may arise then. Or Carry on and release hoping it just works on 1.6? Or back up everything and pray an upgrade now doesnt break anything? What should I specifically look to ABSOLUTELY back up if I upgrade now?

What would one do!?

Updates have always scared me.

Sorry again for the hijack, all my fears etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Cthorthu

Thanks for responding Cthorthu, and apologies again for the thread hijack.

My gut is saying to carry on making the mod as I am. Everything is set up well, I of course have a hugely modded Skyrim, to play. My issue is more around when I get to a point where I need to test the mod with certain other mods. Certain mods may need to be downloaded / updated etc. Potentially mods that have been updated for 1.6.

I guess I will just have to wait and see. Most mods have an option still to download a non AE version I suppose, that should be ok to test with. But at some point I feel I will HAVE to upgrade to be certain. A lot of my mod uses SKSE, PO3 etc.

It makes sense to me to upgrade. I just dont really want to! I know how it goes. Its basically another 2 weeks added to the project!

Thanks again for replying.