Game Crashes on Startup

MrRoxamus

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what solution you arrived at, but I thought I'd toss in my own solution for others. (you may not have the same original problem)

FO4 kept crashing on me before the main menu even appeared. Took me well over 4 hours (!!!) to find the very simple solution. I found it on these nexus forums, but right now can't find the thread or the individual who mentioned it.

One night I was playing the game, and thought I needed to download a weapon paint mod from Creation Club, via the main menu (gunners, but any one of them failing would have caused this). It stated "failed", so I just went on playing. The next day the game would CTD as mentioned above.

The solution quoted by the member was that the "main.ba2" file was not properly downloaded and was the cause of the CTD, and to delete the remaining 2 files of that failed download.

Effectively, search for the "cc" prefix in the Local disk\programfiles(x86\steam\steamapps\common\fallout4\data folder. There should be 3 files for each "cc" mod.

If the "main.ba2" file is missing from any of them, delete the other two (textures.ba2, and .esl) and re-download that particular mod (or not, your choice), then restart the game.

I hope this re-iteration of the solution given by the member in these forums helps someone.