ok need help...custom weapon

Hello, folks,
Long time lurker, fiMy rst time poster, so apologies about posting in the wrong area, etc., etc.
My basic goal:
A weapon; a "wing" on the character's arm that they could swing around like a sword. Not a wing the character would be holding as a sword, you know at one end, if that makes any sense at all, but a wing on the character's arm. concept wise, like a tonfa, if you will.
Let me explain:
For years I've been thinking about tto accomplish this. Recently, however, I've rolled my sleeves and decided to do it. And that's where the trouble began. Let me prefix this by saying a couple things: I am not rank amateur. Nor am I a professional. I know just enough to know my way around the Creation Kit, meshes, .nifs, textures, and that stuff. I mostly use Outfit Studio for most of the work I do. I've made armor mashups and weapons for personal use. In fact, just recently I've made a custom sword that works perfectly, complete with blood and scabbard. Along with a complete outfit that functions well. I had some issues with the outfit, but nothing like what i've been experiencing with the weapon...which leads to my confusion.
And i'm looking strictly at player character use here, not NPC use. I don't know whether that has a bearing on things or not, but there you go. I know that applies to some things....
As for the wing itself, I've been using a daedric shield that I stretched and enlarged a bit. I don't know if that's causing the problems. Plus I've been trying to realign the placement of the shield on the arm. Again, I don't know if that's causing any issues. In addition, some times I have retextured the shield with a texture not meant for it. I don't know if the texture is causing issues. I've been switching between not alligning the shield, or not retexturing it to see if i can get something to work. so far, nothing has.
I have tried multiple techniques. I've tried making the wing a weapon, by attaching the "wing" to the pommel of a dagger. Then, taking inspiration from an oldrim mod (I'm on SE), battle claws, I tried attaching the wing (shield) to a gauntlet, hence making it a fist weapon. Both of which have failed.
The main issue it looks like I'm experiencing is the in game weapon appears under the character's feet, not where it's supposed to be equipped. The shield on the gauntlet attempt resulted in the shield totally not appearing, even though the .nif and CK showing it.
Furthermore, I've made attempts where I've tried making the wing (shield) as an actual shield in the CK, this has resulted in two issues: 1.) The shield under the character's feet, as with the weapon. Or 2.) The wing "floating" on the character's side in mid-air, when i attempted to realign the wing to be on the character's forearm, and does not move, meaning when you press the Block button it does not do the animation.
Now, being out of ideas, i come to you. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you may just be missing the NiStringExtraData node in your nif.

If you look at the daedric shield for example, the NiStringExtraData is named SHIELD. This tells the game engine to attach the object to the Shield node of the player skeleton. This could be causing your object to sit at your feet instead of where you expect it.

Also make sure to Apply Transforms before testing. This means, after you move your object into place, it sets the Translations back to 0,0,0. Right-click the TriShape (in Nifskope), go to Transforms > Apply. Having Transforms in your object can do ugly things.

Same would apply if you wanted to designate your object as a weapon. The NiStringExtraData name would be WeaponSword.

ok, thank you. Running the mesh through NifSkope and Transforming seems to have fixed the issue. it's not perfect but it's like 95% what I wanted. I primarily use the weapon in the left hand to not show it being sheathed... I might make it Bound...if i can figure out how to do the spell