SLE, SE and SAE

Shadeybladey

Skyrim LE is the older version of Skyrim based on the 32 bit engine. It is more unstable with modding, but should work on vanilla. Since we have the benefit of SE over LE, it is advised not to buy this edition.

For modding LE, one is to use the LE site on nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim

Skyrim SE is the upgrade made to the Skyrim engine to 64 bit, and they also enhanced the graphics. This update of the engine, and many other fixes, made the game much more stable and less crash prone, and it is a major benefit for modding. For example, whereas I could not mod and successfully play Skyrim LE because of crashing, I can both mod and play Skyrim SE without crashing.

Skyrim AE is the same game as Skyrim SE, but with the additional purchase of the Anniversary Edition Upgrade. It is the same game, with the same mod support, but with one difference: since Skyrim SE AE version 1.6.xx, Bethesda made updates to the SkyrimSE.exe file, and this means that all mods (dll based mods) that was specifically written for the Skyrim SE 1.5.xx version (pre-AE) stopped to work. So they needed to be upgraded. And this is the reason for the confusion and that modders currently releases two versions of their mods that requires it: SE and AE version.

Only those who downgrade or did not upgrade the game after AE was released, have the SE version 1.5.97. Everyone else, even if they did not buy AE, have Skyrim SE/AE version 1.6.xx, and will therefore need to install the AE version of all mods. All other mods that are not dll based will work on SE 1.5 vs SE/AE 1.6. And since few mods are dll based, this means most mods can be installed without worrying of breaking the game. (Mod authors also usually writes in the download section if the mod in question requires SE or AE, so pay attention.)

For modding on the SE, AE and VR version of Skyrim, one is to use the SE version of nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

I hope this helps.

Skyrim SE is the upgrade made to the Skyrim engine to 64 bit, and they also enhanced the graphics. This update of the engine, and many other fixes, made the game much more stable and less crash prone...

Skyrim AE is the same game as Skyrim SE, but with the additional purchase of the Anniversary Edition Upgrade. It is the same game, with the same mod support, but with one difference: since Skyrim SE AE version 1.6.xx, Bethesda made updates to the SkyrimSE.exe file, and this means that all mods (dll based mods) that was specifically written for the Skyrim SE 1.5.xx version (pre-AE) stopped to work. So they needed to be upgraded...

...even if they did not buy AE, have Skyrim SE/AE version 1.6.xx, and will therefore need to install the AE version of all mods.

For modding on the SE, AE and VR version of Skyrim, one is to use the SE version of nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

I hope this helps.

Yes, that helps a lot, thank you!

So, I think I knew that SSE is 64-bit, better graphics and more stable. But I did not even realise that Anniversary Edition was an Update to SSE!

I first bought the original DVD in early 2012, got one of the DLCs and then got SLE as it was cheaper to get that at the time than to pay for the other two DLCs.

I also got a free version of SSE when it was released, which I never downloaded and installed. I was thinking of doing that soon, as I have a much better, cheaper, larger and faster internet connection, and I upgraded my PC to Win 10, put in two new SSDs and upgraded the RAM from 8 to 32 GB. I had to get Win 10 to sontinues playing Neverwinter on PC, and the RAM and disk space to try other MMOs that require it.

So, I wonder if I can also get the free version of SAE?

Although I do like MMOs, I often find my self replaying Skyrim and even Daggerfall with Unity. Elder Scrolls is my Great Love, and my most recent Bard character is level 151. She went Legendary on some skills three times! And I still have some of my own, unpublished mods to finish.

I hope those Bard Mods are still available for SSE/SAE!

Cheers!

:D

AE is usually used to refer to the 1.6+ version of SE, regardless of whether or not you have the optional DLC pack, which causes a great deal of unnecessary confusion.

OK, thanks for that!

:D

So, I wonder if I can also get the free version of SAE?

If SSE is in your library, whether or not it has been installed before, when installed now it will be the current 1.6.xx version which includes the free Creation Club mods (survival mode, fishing and maybe one more).

There is no "free version" of the Anniversary Edition. They still want you to either buy the Creation Club mods individually as desired or get the whole lot by purchasing the Anniversary Edition.

It is the same concept as having bought original Skyrim and then the individual DLCs or buying Skyrim Legendary Edition which included the DLCs. Only this time it is in regards to the Creation Club mods.

If SSE is in your library, whether or not it has been installed before, when installed now it will be the current 1.6.xx version which includes the free Creation Club mods (survival mode, fishing and maybe one more).

OK, that's great, except for the Creation Club Mods. I prefer to choose my own mods and I certainly won't be paying for any.

They are optional and will not install by default?

How do I find out how "Survival Mode" compares with:

SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esm
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dawnguard.esp
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dragonborn.esp
Campfire.esm
Frostfall.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp
for example?
Fishing can go drink milk, I suck all the fish out of rivers with AutoHarvest 2.0. :D I've used various fishing mods in the past and removed them.
Cheers!
:)

The ones that are free are part of the update. Everyone who advances to SSE 1.6.xx gets those automatically installed. No idea if there is a way to not have them active. I haven't played the game in a while and have not bothered with updating. Some day, maybe. I also have no idea how any of the CC correlate to any existing mods.

You can move them out of your data directory, I think.

However, fishing is unobtrusive, the survival mode asks if you want to enable it or not and does nothing to your game if you choose not to enable it and the Saints and Seducers one is apparently a decent small quest. The last one is just some items I think.