Moving install to a new PC while using an external hard drive.

Tanner85800

A user who will remain anonymous had some questions about the procedure as documented:

" I was just a bit confused by the order. Do I install vortex first and then import app data or do I import app data first and then install vortex?"

I would say install Vortex first, but does it matter? Recommendations?

I've always imported AppData first and then installed Vortex. I've had no problems doing it this way. My concern about installing Vortex first on a new computer is that it creates a fresh Vortex folder in AppData that will have to be overwritten by the imported AppData. That may not be a problem, but I would prefer not to deal with any complications arising from installing Vortex first.

Remember to purge first before importing.

Edited by AugustaCalidia

So. After some googling. I think I discovered my blunder. I didnt actually put app data in the right spot. Its a hidden folder in Windows 11 (which is what my new PC is.) So I would need to unhide it and then move the stuff. I did a a very boneheaded thing initially and just made a folder named appdata since I didnt see one.

My laptop was windows 10 I dont recall it being hidden on that but its been a long time sense I got that laptop. So maybe Im just a buffoon with egg on my face. But I think I should be able to rectify the problem by actually moving appdata to the right place?

So, I followed the guide. Everything should be in the right place. But on redeploy nothing happened. All the mods are there but they are all disabled or say never installed. Did I miss something?

Mods were disabled and it was the archives registering as never installed. Boy Im dumb. The lack of mod metadata (like version number and such) should have been a dead giveaway but thats what you get by running on not enough sleep. Hopefully actually fixing appdata will sort it all out.

A user who will remain anonymous had some questions about the procedure as documented:

" I was just a bit confused by the order. Do I install vortex first and then import app data or do I import app data first and then install vortex?"

I would say install Vortex first, but does it matter? Recommendations?

I believe I covered that in the "Before you start" section?

Picky is the authority, but if it were me, I would stop Vortex and make Appdata "Right".

Then start Vortex - and all should be good.

I dont have it running right now, but it is installed. So Ill try fixing appdata and launching vortex after to see what happens