HDT-SMP Wig: Hair and hairline move differently

Hi!

Novice mesh modder here, so please excuse potential misuse of technical terms etc.

I am trying to create a custom HDT SMP wig for my character, and I have a very strange issue.

What I did is I took the "Traveler" wig from KS Hairdo's HDT SMP (a very long braid, which is physics-enabled), and merged the "Sky 253" hair into it using "Copy & paste branch" in Nifskope. I then removed some overlapping hair parts in Outfit Studio.

As with any hair wig, there are two meshes per hair: the "normal" hair, and the hairline (which is more transparent, to make hair look more realistic)

Normally, both hair and hairline are treated the same by the physics engine: they move exactly the same and collide exactly the same etc.

However, in my custom wig, there is an issue that the braid hair behaves differently than the braid hairline. Concretely, in some ingame movement and collision scenarios, the braid "duplicates" on my character, because the hair moves to the left, while the hairline moves to the right.

Why is that? From a technical perspective, the only difference between the two meshes is the NIAlphaProperty. When I removed the overlapping vertices, I did so consistently, meaning that the vertices and bones for hair and hairline are exactly the same. Also, in the SMP XML, the shapes share the exact same attributes.

Note that this doesn't happen in the original, only in my edit, so the error is introduced by me.

I don't know if I'm allowed to upload my meshes (permissions), but maybe someone experienced can tell from my description that I made a serious mistake, or if I forgot to update something.

No bones have been added or removed from the mesh, it still corresponds to the XML. The 'HDT Skinned Mesh Object' NiStringData is set to the correct file path.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention: "Sky 253" is a static hair from the normal KS Hairdos, so it isn't a weird conflict between two different physics hairs in the same file.

Edited by Vai1lyn

Found the issue thanks to a kind person with a similar problem on LL! The problem was not the mesh, but my ESP armor addon record. I had configured it to use both slots 31 and 41, but my mesh only used 31. So, removing slot 41 from the ESP record fixed it.

Here is the LL thread: loverslab DOT com/topic/157121-hdt-smp-hair-goes-double-as-i-make-my-follower-equip-it-in-ck-need-help/

Edited by Vai1lyn