Getting Start-up Console Commands to Work

Panopod

I'm trying to get the game to run some console commands on start up, I've scoured thread and forum but can't find anything to get them to work.

I have the console commands in a .txt file named "autoexec" located in the main game directory and have "sstartingconsolecommand= bat autoexec" under [General] of MO2's Fallout4custom.ini

Now the bat works - the console commands are displayed as having been runt on start up:

7cmg90th13x81.png?width=604&format=png&a

However they aren't taking effect - fGunParticleCameraDistance is supposed to be extending the range at which bullet decals will spawn but they remain unchanged.

It's only when I manually run the bat again (by typing it into the console command: "bat autoexec") that the console commands actually take effect (i.e. bullet decals now spawn at longer range).

I've also tried by just running the commands as "sstartingconsolecommand= setgs fgunparticlecameradistance 50000; gr grid 12; gr scale .8; gr maxcascade 1"

In another post I made someone suggested that it's because the command is being run before things are fully loaded - if this is the case I'd appreciate a way to delay the commands or the running bat running

Does anyone else have similar issues? Are there any workarounds? Have I done something stupidly wrong? I'm adamant to not have to type in bat autoexec every time I load a save.

Thanks in advance!

Heyas G1ennis :)

Ok, my experience here is kinda limited, so this might be the problem, it might not be.

The first thing I would do, is look at your .txt file. Make sure that it IS a text file, and did not accidentally get saved under "allfile" with a .txt extension. Essentially just recreate the file, make sure that you're saving it correctly, and tell windows YES, when it asks if you want to update or over-write the file.

[General]
sStartingConsoleCommand=bat startup

It might be name specific. If that's the case then it's your code and the filename that are the problem. Try redoing the code, and the filename. And see if doing that corrects the problem if the first piece of advice doesn't work.

Hi, thanks for taking the time for helping me!

I've tried what you've suggested - had my hopes up with it just being a type but it's not a direct copy and paste :wink: but unfortunately hasn't worked.

After talking to someone who had a similar issue I don't believe the problem actually lies in the batch file. It's actually (and I'll put it in bold for posterity) some console commands cannot be run on startup.

In my case the god ray console commands (gr grid, gr scale, gr cascade) were working upon loading into a save; whereas gunparticlecameradistance required manually re-entering in order to take effect. This is because the batch file was being run before I loaded into the save - why some values work from the main menu and some need to be from a loaded save is beyond me.

So some console commands can be automated on startup, but I wanted gunparticlecameradistance 50000 - which is the primary change made by this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1075; I couldn't get the mod to work (another whole can of irradiated beans) so I'd resorted to using the console command. I'm going to try making my own version in FO4edit since it only edits a single record - maybe my crudely copied esp will work :shrug: