Skyrim runs at an almost unplayable fps on a good rig.

Skurjandan

To start with I have an MSI GE60 that I bought about 2 years ago. The guts are = Windows 7 premium 64-bit, Intel i7-3610 2.3ghz (3.2ghz with that turbo boost crap), Nvida geforce gtx 660m (2gig), and 8gigs of ram. I realize it may not be the best but it plays most games I throw at it on high/ultra, heck even crisis 2 runs decently smooth. When it comes to Skyrim (and Witcher 2 but that's a whole other beast) it plays at about 15-20fps normally and about 10-15fps with ENB. It has its occasional spikes to around 40fps in uncluttered corners but those are quite few and far between. Yes, I use texture mods among others but I feel it should run them no problem or at least not this poorly. I'm kinda at a loss as to if something is wrong or if I'm just not realizing its an out dated laptop. In any case I will eventually be buying something new when I get home because I doubt this thing will survive the rest of my deployment unscathed. At any rate help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

-'Ski

Edited by Skurjandan

ENB will dump a 660m into the 10-20 fps range, easily.

Without ENB, I'm surprised at that framerate. Are you running on ultra with a lot of AA? That would probably do it.

Edited by Rennn

That's unfortunate, I like what ENB brings to the game. @Rennn I have AA disabled through the launcher and at 2 in the ENB ini Without ENB it's set at 4. @ Miguelr23 I haven't had FXAA on. I'll try that. I use the Skyrim HD textures with a few select things from SIMM, most likely the biggest culprit besides ENB itself.

I use SMIM's lower resolution options, without the rocks, and get no fps drop on a much older graphics card.

Do you have Nvidia Inspector? I suggest you try disabling AA and bypassing FXAA for forcing AA in the driver software. I can use 2XQ and 2X sparsegrid for transparency supersampling for better quality than the games 4x AA or FXAA and much less performance hit.

I can use 2XQ and 2X sparsegrid for transparency supersampling for better quality than the games 4x AA or FXAA and much less performance hit.

Do you use a certain compatibility bit? I can't seem to get SGSSAA working at all in Skyrim.

@Georgiegril I don't have Nvidia inspector, looks handy though. @Rennn I had both mountain and rock textures. I got rid of both and saw a dramatic improvement. Stays at around 30fps in most cases. It still dips and stutters once in a while but I can live with that no problem. Huge thanks for the tips y'all. I'll be cursing at my laptop a lot less now.