Random Havok Shaking and Other Weird Stuff

ArmlessWunder

I've made an interior cell. Within this cell everything is all screwed up. All objects with havok physics shake like crazy when moved. All NPCs twitch all over their bodies. I get stuck moving at a snails pace when running around randomly. Have I entered another dimension? What have I done? I've made a monster!!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Okay, I figured it out. My cell's objects were positioned insanely high. (roughly 4,000,000 Z units) If you want to see some weird s***, try this yourself sometime.

How did this happen? Somehow when I was making the cell, I had copied and pasted the components from a previous cell into the new one as sort of template and it pasted the objects at (what I assume to be) the max height available for the cell. I had selected an object in the cell view window to center on and didn't think anything extraordinary happened...

I was able to salvage the cell by just cut and paste to a more regular height (roughly 2,000 Z units), but, unfortunately I now have to redo my 'favorite' part of making cells: navmeshing/updating script references :sad:

At any rate, hopefully no one ever does this again. But when they do; hopefully they will see this post

Edited by ArmlessWunder

At any rate, hopefully no one ever does this again. But when they do; hopefully they will see this post

There have been a lot of posts about the game engine breaking when objects are out of range in the cell. You didn't see those, so people probably won't see your post either. :wink:

Also, it's not just the Z dimension. Place objects too far in the X or Y directions and you'll also break the game engine.

I don't remember what the limits are for interior cells. For worldspaces, the limit is either 128x64 or 128x128 cells (I think).

There are a lot of other limits that will break the game. The GECK doesn't believe in error or limit checking, so it will happily let you create a mod that completely breaks the game engine.

This is one of many reasons that I have often said that the GECK is really a secret Vault-Tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels.

Edited by madmongo

There have been a lot of posts about the game engine breaking when objects are out of range in the cell. You didn't see those, so people probably won't see your post either. :wink:

Also, it's not just the Z dimension. Place objects too far in the X or Y directions and you'll also break the game engine.

I don't remember what the limits are for interior cells. For worldspaces, the limit is either 128x64 or 128x128 cells (I think).

There are a lot of other limits that will break the game. The GECK doesn't believe in error or limit checking, so it will happily let you create a mod that completely breaks the game engine.

This is one of many reasons that I have often said that the GECK is really a secret Vault-Tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels.

Ahh yes, I recall you giving me this sound advice before :laugh: Over time, I am seeing more and more truth in it.