CTDs

emilysstilldead

greetings, my fellow adventurers,

with the release of AE, I've noticed that the game still CTD. a lot! completed a quest for Amren's Family Sword that took me to the FORGOTTEN TOWER to retrieve his sword. had to save the game 28 times to get thru it. then when I finally get his sword, I had to backtrack, going thru multiple CTDs to escape the location.

at another location, Shroud Heart Barrow, had to save 34 times to get thru the quest.

don't know what is causing the CTDs. but it is getting most tiresome. I have some 2800 hours playing this game, so it's not something new. was hoping with the upgrade from SE to AE, that Bethesda would finally fix the game. they would know the problems better than me - but to no avail. seems that making money is more important than making people happy.

the people that make SKSE have done some miraculous things to improve the game. the people that make the USSEP mods are a miracle ae well - but they still don't fix the problem of CTDs. the modders do wondrous things - but still the problem of CTDs remains.

what would it take to stop the CTDs? help from bethesda? help from the modding community? some combination? maybe another solution entirely?

I have discovered a correlation with save games though. the more save games the more CTDs there are. am on level 51 now and can't go anywhere without it crashing, causing me to savegame every few feet, leading to more CTDs.

I have about 85 mods installed as well as the 75 or so that came with the AE upgrade. mods were installed with a mod organizer [i still use the community version of NEXUS MOD MANAGER]. have used LOOT to check mod order. have SSEEDIT and WRYEBASH installed but really don't know how to use either.

as an aside, I started playing SPIRITFARER [another STEAM game]; have about 6 hours into the game and it hasn't crashed once. just saying...

at my wits end. all I want is a game that doesn't crash. IS that too much to ask? why can't the basic game be fixed and running as well as possible before we start adding all these wonderful mods?

please don't flame me too much.

thanks for your attention.

For what it's worth, we (two of us) are playing Skyrim SE, using the SKSE run-tool on our Vortex dashboard.

We have about 80 mods sorted by Vortex, and we've done at least fifty different playthroughs. We have logged not as many as you, but about 1100 hours total. Gorgopis has one player character and plays a quest, while Moebius has another player character and plays the same quests. We both use the same Vortex profile with mods at this time, to compare experiences.

Since migrating to SE from Oldrim, we have a very stable game. The only crashes we experienced on SE occurred under the following conditions:

1) We quick-saved. Crashes added up, so now we never quick save. We also delete autosaves after finishing a sequence.

2) We used the console to cheat with no-clip or to load locations with coc codes. Crashes added up. We have stopped tcl on console, and stopped using coc. We think location-references logged into saves out of order (like a dungeon has three load-areas, say) in quests may crash the game, but we're just guessing.

3) We accepted too many quests without finishing a few of them off first. Crashes added up.

4) We had mods with conflicting textures on the same NPC's. And though we sorted through Vortex, we still got the crash.

We are now on save number 280 on this current play-through without any crash. On a former stable game-through we had 350 saves with no crash. We often run our games with ten followers and sometimes 10 thralls, for twenty bots on screen or more, blasting away, and still no crashes.

We do delete any saves where we don't want or need to replay them. But we keep important saves with important characters in case we lose a character somewhere, and need to retrace our game saves.

GL.