NPC ambush/trap triggers fail on save reload

Hiyas,

when I test my interior, the ambush spawns and trap triggers seem to work at first (although some NPCs are spawning early, maybe triggered by a rival NPC ?)

but, during my testing if I die before making it to the end and I reload the last save and return to the location, this time all the triggers do nothing ?

Anyone know if there's something related my interior cell breaking these ? And/or someway to figure out what it is ?

It's a small-ish interior with navmesh and room portals. Ambushes use the premade pack-ins, everything set up following Seddon's tuts.

Would appreciate any help if someone's had a similar problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyas 3ickyC :smile: Ok so the actual technicalities of this, is over my head. I dunno the ins and outs of it, for this particular game.

BUT

What it sounds like, is that your triggers aren't set up to persist. IE: They only fire once, like a single barrel shotgun. It doesn't sound as if they are scripted to "reload" (using the shotgun imagery)

What I'm trying to say, is that your scripts are set to only fire once. And since the savegame loaded when you resurrect HAS that trigger being fired in it, the game basically thinks that it doesn't have to do anything with that spawner again.

I think what you would want to do is set it for peristant, and then have a deactivator in the end of the quest activation.

[edit] Errr... wait. I'm thinking it wrong. what you would want is to have it so that the script for the activator loads, when X actor gets within range of it. And you might possibly have the spawner set to only spawn once. That's where the script and bethesda's bad game saving is biting you in the rump.

But, how to do that.... again... I'm not THAT familiar with Bethesda :sad:

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the help StormWolf01,

took me a while to get back to this !

Had a look at my spawns and I've got the respawn flags active on them. That's about as far as I know how to go on making them persist, I got no idea about editing any scripts myself. I'm relying on the pack-ins following Seddon's tuts at the moment.

It's pretty inconsistent on different reloads but always works the first time so I'm thinking it might be due to some script lag on my old system. I've never noticed this with the regular game though, so not 100% sure, but when I disabled some script heavy mods it seems to be a little bit more reliable.

Another theory is that maybe I've relied on too many ambush triggers. Almost every NPC is using an ambush trigger as I could control when they show up much better than the agro spawns which seemed to just activate all the enemies at once (small-ish level).

Sooo, I think since it's coming close to finished I'll just release it into the wild and see if other people experience the same problems.

Anyway, I appreciate the help !

• 4 months later...

Posted a solution I had for this in another thread, sharing it here for anyone who comes across this:

Here's what worked for me:

I setup a persistent location and associated encounter zone. Then edit each of your enemy marker's by finding the tab for persistent location and adding your location in the drop down menu.

There's a tutorial online for setting up a new location:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6caXUI_yzc

Another thing is to test on a new game, testing on an existing save created a lot of issues for me.

Hope this works for you ! It was such a pain !

*Thanks to StormWolf01 for pointing out a direction to look for an answer !

@3ickeyC Glad you got your problems solved!

That's a very handy tut, TYVM! :thumbsup:

On a related subject of encounters,

In levelled lists, you have say: NPC_Raider and ENCNPC_Raider

Which entry SHOULD get the (experience) level info?

As I'm trying to make everyone match PC, and do not want to over-engineer dynamic NPC creation. :geek:

Where, also I notice many traits are inherited from templates are already explicitly enumerated by CNAM:Class but are too often overwritten by mods.
Is any of that really needed? Am I missing something?

Just seems several thousand iterations could saved working from the root source of the data flow. :unsure:

Some clarification would hlep me clear my head for other thoughts. :blush:

I've followed Seddon's tutorials on setting up enemy NPC ambushes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLElczpoUwHC4jZXDF_3mp_iXgALiLHw-k

So I haven't really changed this much and they seem to reference the "lvl" prefixed NPCs.

If you look up setting up encounter zones, this is what will handle enemy levels for your dungeon along with the difficulty you set on the markers.

Hope that helps Blinxys !

I've followed Seddon's tutorials on setting up enemy NPC ambushes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLElczpoUwHC4jZXDF_3mp_iXgALiLHw-k

Hope that helps Blinxys !

Only as much help as i've gotten listening to these while I sleep. :blush:

(So much to mod vs. how little I [ever currently] know).

Thanks for the tip though. Working on a new setup, so it should all start "clicking" soon. :woot: