Does the Engine Support Lightmaps?

Modded Skyrim lags behind current-gen graphics primarily in my opinion due to the lack of lightmaps. Lightmaps can look even better than live ray-tracing at a much lower performance cost. The only downside is they are less effective at simulating dynamic light such as moving light sources (mostly the sun) than something like rtx ray-tracing or UE5's lumen. Skyrim has a lot of interior areas where lightmaps would work perfectly, so why haven't I've seen any of that tech in Skyrim mods? I understand such a feature is technically challenging to code, but I've seen the great work ENB and Marty McFly's ray-traced ReShade shaders so baked lightmaps seem possible. Is any talented modder currently working on injecting pre-baked lightmap tech into Skyrim? I even think some basic lightmap could look nice in the overworld if it's only used to create those shadows that aren't well illuminated any time during the day (like under roofs and stairs). If not, is there a technical reason that I'm not aware of that makes this tech impossible to implement? If so I'd like this limitation explained in detail so I can learn more.