Bug - Full english vocabulary not allowed

zusr

Text verifier isn't complete with the whole vocabulary. Tried to submit english text with é in it to write complete exposé but the verifier thinks I'm trying to put it special fake characters which I'm not, I'm just trying to spell an english word.

I assume this same bug would apply to names, as full proper names with their respective letters won't go through so you have to butcher the names and leaving you with only the Latin alphabet which seems like the one thing that goes through.

The example you cite does not have an origin in the English language. It is in fact of French origin. The English language usually does not use an accent mark over a letter.

The example you cite does not have an origin in the English language. It is in fact of French origin. The English language usually does not use an accent mark over a letter.

It might have not originated from the English language but the word is used is English literature with the appropriate accent. Expose and exposé have different meanings in the English Language, significant enough that a little nuisance of either placing an é can't be ignored if anyone wants to write proper English.

If nexus mods is to be a place where attention to detail is upheld, this bug should be fixed.

Edited by zusr

Guest deleted34304850

it's not an "English" letter and not an English word therefore it's not "proper" English.

If you're going to play dictionary corner - you could use variations on the word "reveal" which means the same thing and in this case is "proper" English?

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

it's not an "English" letter and not an English word therefore it's not "proper" English.

If you're going to play dictionary corner - you could use variations on the word "reveal" which means the same thing and in this case is "proper" English?

I'm not arguing about dictionary terms if a word is or isn't something, more that exposé is a valid way to use said word in a sentence, thus it should be allowed on the Nexus because it's in English. Since this is in English, the only other explanation for why it's not working is that this is a bug and bugs need fixing.

The problem might not be whether or not it is proper, but rather what character set it belongs to and how the site software supports various character sets.

It might be a bug that is not worth the cost of fixing until it can be folded into other upgrades.

Guest deleted34304850

I'm not arguing about dictionary terms if a word is or isn't something, more that exposé is a valid way to use said word in a sentence, thus it should be allowed on the Nexus because it's in English. Since this is in English, the only other explanation for why it's not working is that this is a bug and bugs need fixing.

again, it's not "proper" English. Honestly, is that the hill you're going to die on?

Also its not a bug - its a codepage issue. The forum software is as old as Noah's ark and hasn't been updated since the year dot. I sincerely doubt they'll rush to fix this "bug" any time soon. Just use another word, preferably a "proper English" one.