Can we have a "Broken" button to mark mods that don't work anymore?

BevansDesign

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I didn't find an existing thread.

One of the biggest problems with mod sites is that they gradually fill up with mods that don't work anymore. Games get new updates, and mod-makers have moved on to other projects and don't update their mods to work with the new version. That's fine, that's how things go.

But the only way a mod-user can tell if a mod still works is to try to comb through a mod's comment section to see if people are complaining about it, or they have to download it and find out on their own.

We have an "Endorse" button to mark mods that we think are good. How about a "Broken" button so we can mark that a mod doesn't work anymore? Once its broken-to-downloads ratio reaches a certain point, the site could flag it as "possibly broken", and then "probably broken" if it's even higher. And the Broken rating could automatically clear itself if the mod-maker uploads a new version.

This is a great ideal. I've try and try to rebuild my 650 plus mod list and it just crashes and corrupts after a few hours of a new play through. Simple as walking thur a random door anywhere or just instant crash anywhere in the world. I'd really like to enjoy the game again. I have to wonder if the guy the do the actual computer work for Bethesda did this on purpose to punish the modding community for so much bashing of their work.

Guest deleted34304850

personally, i look at the bug reports for a given mod and if i see no updates from the mod author to obvious bugs - it doesn't go in my game.

if there's no bug report available the first couple of pages are normally enough to help me make my decision.

The biggest issue I see with this type of facility is abuse.

The greatest source of abuse could be from naive users who don't really know what they are doing when installing mods, load their game up with hundreds of mods, and then expect things to "Just work". They don't understand the impact of load order, the concept of incompatible mods, and the necessity of prerequisite mods. Then, they pick a mod from the list and report it as broken.

Some users get quite petulant and abusive when they request a "feature" in a mod and get told "No". These users could report a mod as broken when it is not.

Some users play with a back-leveled version of the game, and then complain when newer versions of mods don't work with their outdated and unsupported game. These folks could mark a mod broken out of spite when the author refuses to publish a back-leveled version of the mod.

Then there is the "hate on the author" crowd, which has several authors who they deem worthy of abuse, authors who are "banned" on other forums because their honest and forthright postings are unwelcome. Such abuse can (and does) carry over onto Nexus without abatement, and the ability to mark a mod by an author broken could result in all their mods being marked broken, based on nothing more that stupidity and hate.

And for the sake of clarity, I have seen every one of these types of people post in mod comments, ranting and raving about the horrible mod, the horrible author, and/or the horrible support for the mod. This would just give the "smeg heads" a unsupervised and unverified means to demonstrate their bad attitude.

I'd rather not leave it to random people to decide what does and doesn't work considering the user knowledge levels seem to rest somewhere around Mariana Trench.

clear itself if the mod-maker uploads a new version.

That's kind of a big no-no. People often use outdated versions or have issues from completely unrelated mods and blame it on another. (Fallout 4 - Settlement Mods have this going on a lot).

So I wouldn't have to upload a new version just because some randos claim "Mod doesn't appear-Help! (Because I have a 5 year old version)" or "Only this mod must break my game (Because I use Sim Settlements 2 and five hundred other mods)"

But this leads me to another idea. Requiring users to download a certain Fallout 4 version at least

Guest deleted34304850

But this leads me to another idea. Requiring users to download a certain Fallout 4 version at least

totally agree.

the number of posts i've read from tinfoil hat wearing cranks who refuse to update their game for no good reason are legion, and if a mod doesn't work because they're on a version of the game that isn;t relevant any more, its in no way their problem - its always the fault of the mod author.

in the real world - if you're running out of support software - then you're pretty much on your own. keep it updated and relevant....