Photo

Can we have a "Broken" button to mark mods that don't work anymore?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

HeyYou

HeyYou

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Just wait until collections become REALLY popular, and are using older, outdated versions that authors can no longer delete...... That should add some interest to life.....

That said, I also think this is a really bad idea. (broken button) We have already seen that the 'community' has a significant population of bad actors, and will leave negative feedback on a mod for multiple reasons, none of which have anything to do with whether it works or not. How many folks do you think would start marking EVERY mod dealing the LGBTQ+ issues at their first opportunity? And that is only ONE hot-button issue..... Nope, this would be abused immediately, and to no good purpose.

Zorkaz

Zorkaz

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,432 posts

The only less harmful way this could be done is via a tag. A lot of users might tag it as "outdated". But the mod author could block this function forever too given the person is active

Arthmoor

Arthmoor

Destroyer of Bugs

• Premium Member
  • 21,444 posts

But this leads me to another idea. Requiring users to download a certain Fallout 4 version at least

totally agree.

the number of posts i've read from tinfoil hat wearing cranks who refuse to update their game for no good reason are legion, and if a mod doesn't work because they're on a version of the game that isn;t relevant any more, its in no way their problem - its always the fault of the mod author.

in the real world - if you're running out of support software - then you're pretty much on your own. keep it updated and relevant....

The weirdest part about this is that you can almost always be certain it's someone installing mods to a BGS game that's complaining about old versions of things. Pretty much every other modding community I've been involved with (even just as a user) they embrace game updates and almost immediately update their mods. Mods that don't get updated to fit get left behind swiftly. None of this hanging on to something that's 3 years old and will never be updated and then expecting everyone else to stop updating too.

ScytheBearer

ScytheBearer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
clear itself if the mod-maker uploads a new version.

That's kind of a big no-no. People often use outdated versions or have issues from completely unrelated mods and blame it on another. (Fallout 4 - Settlement Mods have this going on a lot).

So I wouldn't have to upload a new version just because some randos claim "Mod doesn't appear-Help! (Because I have a 5 year old version)" or "Only this mod must break my game (Because I use Sim Settlements 2 and five hundred other mods)"

But this leads me to another idea. Requiring users to download a certain Fallout 4 version at least

If only t'were possible, but alas, requiring a minimum version of any game is far beyond the pale.  Want proof, just look at Skyrim SE.  Several authors updated their mods to take advantage of new elements included in Version 1.6 of that game.  But there exists a host of users who refuse to move on to the new version, and these authors are flagellated, abused, denigrated, and accused of bestiality, simply because they updated their mods and didn't supply a back-leveled version compatible with the unsupported game version.  These folks would like nothing more than access to another avenue to harass, harangue and hate on these authors. 

1ae0bfb8

1ae0bfb8

Resident

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

totally agree.

the number of posts i've read from tinfoil hat wearing cranks who refuse to update their game for no good reason are legion, and if a mod doesn't work because they're on a version of the game that isn;t relevant any more, its in no way their problem - its always the fault of the mod author.

in the real world - if you're running out of support software - then you're pretty much on your own. keep it updated and relevant....

The weirdest part about this is that you can almost always be certain it's someone installing mods to a BGS game that's complaining about old versions of things. Pretty much every other modding community I've been involved with (even just as a user) they embrace game updates and almost immediately update their mods. Mods that don't get updated to fit get left behind swiftly. None of this hanging on to something that's 3 years old and will never be updated and then expecting everyone else to stop updating too.

yeah, i remember in my wow days, as soon as a new version hit the ptr, all the mod developers would be releasing new versions - no-one wanted, or needed old versions that wouldn't work with the new release.

the number of people i've seen who are still running windows 7 in these forums is both concerning and hilarious. no mod maker or game developer should be forced to throttle their product to cater for these lunatics, but for anything related to BGS this seems to be the expected norm.

if i was a mod maker (i don't have the time, nor the patience to deal with the audience of ungrateful idiots), then you could bet I would adhere to the standards offered by the unoficial  patch team because it makes absolute and total sense. how you deal with the sheer number of cranks and put up with the hate is beyond me, you deserve a medal.

StormWolf01

StormWolf01

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,834 posts

The nexus actually Used to have a down-voting system, way, way, waaaaay back.  And it was removed for abuse, and modder harassment.  

So what's being said about that is VERY true.

On the flipside of things, yes.  It does suck, to have a mod around that is broken, and never gets fixed.  However, along the lines of what 1ae was saying, it's up to YOU to do due diligence as to what you download onto YOUR computer, and add into YOUR game.  I will also go ahead and add in, look at the release date of the mod files when you go to download.  How OLD is that file?  Is there any comments about it not working, since that date?

Also along the same lines as HeyYou was saying:  Maybe a new version has a feature that you actually... don't want.  Or maybe the new feature is not compatible with your PC.  (I'm looking at You there, AMD!) 

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.939 seconds