Cannot login to Vortex

I've been trying on and off to get Vortex to work for the past couple months. It never has.

I open Vortex, it gives a warning for "failed to login"

Error: read ECONNRESET
    at __node_internal_captureLargerStackTrace (node:internal/errors:464:5)
    at __node_internal_errnoException (node:internal/errors:594:12)
    at TLSWrap.onStreamRead (node:internal/stream_base_commons:220:20)

Called from:

at null (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:5903:37)
  at updateKey (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:6191:34)
  at once (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:5978:54)
  at null (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:6055:45)
  at null (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:8009:92)
  at tryCatcher (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\util.js:16:23)
  at gotValue (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\reduce.js:166:18)
  at gotAccum (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\reduce.js:155:25)
  at tryCatcher (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\util.js:16:23)
  at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:547:31)
  at Promise._settlePromise (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:604:18)
  at Promise._settlePromise0 (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:649:10)
  at Promise._settlePromises (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:729:18)
  at _drainQueueStep (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:93:12)
  at _drainQueue (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:86:9)
  at Async._drainQueues (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:102:5)
  at Async.drainQueues (D:\Program Files\Vortex Mod Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:15:14)

I press "Login or register" and it says "Network connection closed unexpectedly"

I get the API code and paste it in and it fails with this error

Error: read ECONNRESET
    at __node_internal_captureLargerStackTrace (node:internal/errors:464:5)
    at __node_internal_errnoException (node:internal/errors:594:12)
    at TLSWrap.onStreamRead (node:internal/stream_base_commons:220:20)

I'm also not getting any "news" or "announcements" in Vortex which is probably related.

It is not a firewall issue. I explicitly allowed Vortex, not that it's necessary as it would have notified me if it got blocked.

It is not an antivirus issue. The application is specifically allowed and if it did get blocked for some reason it would be logged.

It is not, in any way that I can tell, a network issue. I have zero problems with the nexus site and I have tried with 3 different internet connections, same errors.

Unless you can at least point me to something I can ping or telnet to for testing don't bother telling me "it's your firewall lol", it isn't.

EDIT: I have been keeping Vortex updated, with the same errors across the versions I tried over time. I am currently on 1.5.11, the latest stable.

EDIT 2: If I try to open a web page in Vortex (for example during the process to get the Fallout 4 Script Extender) it also seems to fail as it remains on a white page. It seems nothing outgoing is working. Neither the firewall or the antivirus are blocking it, and in fact both specifically allow all outgoing connections for the program.

Edited by KoelianTheSecond

Guest deleted34304850

i'd like to help you, but you've stated you don't want to be told what the problem is, so, well, good luck.

Guest deleted34304850

pretty much.

you could, i dunno - google econnreset - that will give you the answer you dont want, but as you don't want it, maybe you won't do it and we'll come back tomorrow and see if the magic internet pixies have fixed it for you.

So you're just trolling.

Nothing on my computer is closing Vortex's connection. Unless you can tell me what it's supposed to be able to reach for me to test or you can point to some hidden setting that can block it that isn't the firewall or the antivirus, because I have explicitly (even though it is superfluous) configured them to allow Vortex free outgoing access.

"Lol it's your firewall" isn't help. 99% of firewalls allow all outgoing connections by default and the remaining 1% would at least give a warning when blocking something.

It's downright insulting to repeat it after you have been explicitly told the firewall has been configured to not block Vortex.

Guest deleted34304850

i think if there's a troll in this thread, it's you and your opening post.

as for the rest of your word salad - as i said look up econnreset - that's your issue. believe it, or don't, but know that computers, unlike people, don't lie.

You think I didn't look for Vortex login issues only to find you troll people with the same worthless stock line every time? That's why I preemptively clarified things that cannot be the issue and why.

Not that it stopped you from completely ignoring reality.

It is not a connection issue, unless it is one originating from within Vortex itself.

Again, you're free to tell me what I'm supposed to be able to telnet to and I will test it. You still have not done that.

According to Google and previous posts from Tannin, the error indicates that Vortex is being told that your connection is being suddenly disconnected. Vortex is reporting the error, but should not be able to cause it.

However, Tannin has never indicated that there is any specific connections you can test it with.

If the error is not on your computer, then it is somewhere upstream. When you tested with different connections were they all from the same provider? Same general location? Are you in a country that might firewall things at the telecom company level?

When you tested with different connections were they all from the same provider?

No, three different ISPs.

Same general location?

All three from my house, one was a mobile phone's hotspot though.

Are you in a country that might firewall things at the telecom company level?

It has happened rarely in the past for certain illegal things (according to the news).

I strongly doubt the State decided to block only Vortex specifically though, while leaving everything on the normal Nexus website untouched.

This is why I'd like to know what Vortex is trying to connect to and on what port, if I knew this I could test it and we could see for certain if it's just Vortex having the issue or if it's a wider connection problem.

Edited by KoelianTheSecond