Vortex Forced beta update

vip86

hello
i received a notification in vortex that a new update is ready to install
as always i pressed restart and install
after the installation i received another notification telling me that now i'm running the latest BETA version (1.5.12) and the automatic update settings will be changed from stable to beta

i never ever opted to receive beta updates before
this is really frustrating, why force people to receive beta updates ?
is there a way i can go back to the stable version ?

Edited by vip86

I'm experiencing the same issue.

It appears 1.5.12 beta has been accidentally released as if it were stable (or rather perhaps it IS stable, but it's marked as beta and the developer made a mistake when building/publishing?).

I tried reverting it by installing 1.5.11, but it will just force-install 1.5.12 beta again when shut down.

I will look into it. No mistake on our end as far as I can tell, the 1.5.12 release is still correctly marked as beta.

In this case you don't have to worry though, 1.5.11 and 1.5.12 are functionally identical, the only difference is in the installer. So as long as 1.5.12 installs correctly it will work the same as 1.5.11

Guest deleted34304850

you are aware that there's a switch that you can set to prevent beta updates in vortex - go to settings/vortex - look at the update channel. are you set to beta? if you are, then change it to either stable, or no automatic updates. problem solved.

@1ae0bfb8 There was actually something funky going on, users were receiving the 1.5.12 update despite being set to the "stable" channel.

As far as I can tell, github (which we use to host the automatic updates) had a database failure or something. Our releases from roughly the last year were no longer listed (not on the site nor the api) even though the files were still there and accessible if you knew the url.

Our update check would receive the correct URL for the new file but with the meta information (including beta or not) from a random older file which then caused it to trigger an update (or actually a downgrade as far as Vortex knew).

Guest deleted34304850

yikes. thats not good. have github come back with an explanation as to what went wrong?

that's worrying that you could be pushed what looks like an update, only for it to be a reversion.

Haha, that was a trickier issue than I thought, but all appears well now.

I tried switching to Stable channel in 1.5.12 beta moments ago, and Vortex immediately reported "major version update available" (or something like that). Selected download & install and I'm now successfully back on 1.5.11 again.

Guest deleted34304850

is it feasible that if by some accident a user was about to severely regress their vortex system and possibly cause massive problems for themselves, vortex itself could issue a popup warning them of impending doom with a "do you really want to do this" kind of prompt?

If you downgrade by a patch release (or a few), e.g. from 1.5.11 -> 1.5.5, there shouldn't be any irreversible issue. One reason I'm so pedantic about version numbers is exactly so we can make promises like this.

patch releases fix bugs, they should never change the data structure structure so the worst thing that should ever happen is that bugs that were fixed before get reintroduced.

Now if you downgrade by a minor release, e.g. from 1.5.11 -> 1.3.22 Vortex *will* give you a warning about that being dangerous and you have to click a "Yes, I'm mad" button before Vortex will actually start up.

Guest deleted34304850

bless you @tannin42, you're a technician after my own heart. if only everyone adhered to not very difficult version numbering, the world would be a better place!