Vortex High CPU usage and Very High power usage even when not open or in use

Vulpix298

are you sure that it didn't crash on you and you have a zombie process just sitting there consuming resources?

try and force it out of your system, or reboot and see what occurs?

it did not crash, I closed it.

I ended the process and restarted before posting and it is gone, however it is still an issue that occurred when it shouldn't and so needs reporting. it could be a potential bug and reports help build awareness.

if you don't actually know, I ask that you please do not comment as I am trying to report to staff or mods. thanks!

I don't think there's any call for that response. that is not how forums work.

my reply to you was on point and polite. if you can't reciprocate that then its best you say nothing?

also - its not a "bug". you obviously closed it but that does not mean the program completely shuts down. hence me suggesting - not unreasonably that it may be in a zombie state and a reboot would resolve it.

my reply to you was also on point and polite. I said please, and thanked you. my response was fine. not sure why you think there wasn't a call for it? I'm trying to report an issue and you don't know anything.

it appears i know a tad more than you. adding a "please" to a shitpost doesn't mean its not a shitpost. but hey - you do you. i hope you get your "bug" fixed. if it were me, i'd try a reboot - and i'd also recycle my pc.

ok. now I am being rude. you are being unhelpful and provocative. please do not comment again so I can focus on troubleshooting this issue with those who know something. now I am not being rude. thank you.

Guest deleted34304850

you do understand, if you "close" the program, and its still consuming resources, it's not "closed" as in not running any more, right?

you may have "closed" it - but it obviously didn't leave your system for some odd reason - and when that happens, the program goes into a "zombie" state, where it can sit, consuming resources until you force it out of the system, or reboot. Hence my suggestions previously.

do you think that "closing" the program means it should use 0% cpu, i/o and any other resource? thats not how computers work. at all. if you want it to consume no resources then it needs to not be running at all.

yes, thank you for re-stating the exact problem. I closed it. it was still using high resources despite being closed and un-used for two days. that is the exact issue. that is clearly un-intended use of the programme, it shouldn't run when it's been exited. I reported this behaviour. you have now re-stated the issue for some reason, as if I don't know what I've been saying this whole time. thank you again for your input. I am thanking you again so you don't misinterpret this as anything but polite and on point again.

i gave you the solution to your issue. reboot. you're welcome.

Do you have Vortex set to start up when Windows does? Can you verify there is a background process from Vortex that persists when closing? Are there any specific actions that may have caused this?

If there is a process left behind my guess would be some kind of local security software is preventing it from shutting down properly.

nope, vortex does not start upon startup. what do you mean by verify? I included the screenshot that shows it up and running when it was closed, NOT minimised. all I had done two days ago was uninstall and re-install some mods, update a couple, and then play my game. Exited the game and exited vortex. went to sleep. didn't use it again until I noticed the fans were still going full blast despite low usage. checked task manager. Vortex was listed high for CPU and power usage as in the screenshots. took the screenshot, closed everything else and restarted my laptop. it is no longer running at all in task manager since the restart, however it was still something that obviously happened that shouldn't have, so I thought to report the behaviour in case there were other reports, or other people with the same issue. create a log.

I use malwarebytes and have vortex in the allow list/white list. never had this issue before now! and I check vortex regularly so I can play my games.

you do understand, if you "close" the program, and its still consuming resources, it's not "closed" as in not running any more, right?

you may have "closed" it - but it obviously didn't leave your system for some odd reason - and when that happens, the program goes into a "zombie" state, where it can sit, consuming resources until you force it out of the system, or reboot. Hence my suggestions previously.

do you think that "closing" the program means it should use 0% cpu, i/o and any other resource? thats not how computers work. at all. if you want it to consume no resources then it needs to not be running at all.

yes, thank you for re-stating the exact problem. I closed it. it was still using high resources despite being closed and un-used for two days. that is the exact issue. that is clearly un-intended use of the programme, it shouldn't run when it's been exited. I reported this behaviour. you have now re-stated the issue for some reason, as if I don't know what I've been saying this whole time. thank you again for your input. I am thanking you again so you don't misinterpret this as anything but polite and on point again.

i gave you the solution to your issue. reboot. you're welcome.

please read my second reply to you in this thread. here it is for your convenience:

I ended the process and restarted before posting and it is gone, however it is still an issue that occurred when it shouldn't and so needs reporting. it could be a potential bug and reports help build awareness.

I have already rebooted and the issue no longer persists. but it still happened, and should be reported to bring awareness for anything potentially wrong, or if it's happened to others. multiple user reports, if it happens to multiple users, can help with troubleshooting or determining causes of a potential issue. can create a timeline. check for behaviour patterns. be generally helpful to know if something out of the ordinary happens that is unexpected.

I think at this point the question is whether you can get this behavior to repeat? Was this a one-time thing or have you/will you observe the same problem again?

If it turns out it was a one-time thing, then it might have been Windows misbehaving rather than Vortex misbehaving, and Vortex just happened to be the process that got stuck.

In which case, as you say, you have made a report and nothing actually needs to be done unless it gets reported again. I'd imagine some people are just used to users posting here to get a solution to a problem, not just to log an issue for future reference.

Vupix298: apologies, my previous reply was also based on the assumption you had minimized or closed to task area.

Vortex consists of multiple processes, that's just how electron is designed. One main process that controls the others and does some data keeping, one for the UI, one for the mod installation process, one for LOOT (if you're running a bethesda game), one for gpu rendering (unless you disabled that in settings) and one - I don't actually know what it does, it's part of electron. There may be even more depending on the situation.

When you close Vortex in the UI, that sends a signal to the main process that then signals all sub-processes to close before closing itself. I'm fairly certain that in your case the main process and the ui process at least did close but then one or potentially multiple of the sub-processes failed to shut down for some reason™ and without the ui and main processes there's also no way to communicate a problem to you.

I've seen this happen in development builds when the main process crashes instead of shutting down properly but not like you describe. Unfortunately there is also little to go off in terms of investigating.

If you experience this again you could use task manager to see the command line of the process(es) still alive (right click the column headers in task manager and enable the "Command line" column) and send in a log file through the feedback system

Vupix298: apologies, my previous reply was also based on the assumption you had minimized or closed to task area.

Vortex consists of multiple processes, that's just how electron is designed. One main process that controls the others and does some data keeping, one for the UI, one for the mod installation process, one for LOOT (if you're running a bethesda game), one for gpu rendering (unless you disabled that in settings) and one - I don't actually know what it does, it's part of electron. There may be even more depending on the situation.

When you close Vortex in the UI, that sends a signal to the main process that then signals all sub-processes to close before closing itself. I'm fairly certain that in your case the main process and the ui process at least did close but then one or potentially multiple of the sub-processes failed to shut down for some reason™ and without the ui and main processes there's also no way to communicate a problem to you.

I've seen this happen in development builds when the main process crashes instead of shutting down properly but not like you describe. Unfortunately there is also little to go off in terms of investigating.

If you experience this again you could use task manager to see the command line of the process(es) still alive (right click the column headers in task manager and enable the "Command line" column) and send in a log file through the feedback system

I appreciate the explanation, thank you!

Glad to at least bring awareness to something potentially happening. I will be glad to keep an eye out to see if it happens again and follow what you have said. It is quite a vague error at the moment, but clearly not nuclear in danger lol

thank you for the response.

• 1 year later...

I just had this happen to me.

I have an R7 5800x and I had TWO Vortex processes running, one with 5 instances total and one by itself.

I haven't had any crashes, I do not have it start on startup.

I closed the vortex window, and the 5 instances closed, but the ONE that was by itself stayed open.

It, however, was using over 15%, averaging 18% by ITSELF of my 16 thread CPU at 4Ghz+.

I "idle" at between 4% and 5% CPU usage for running browsers, and 8% watching YouTube, I fail to see how an instance of vortex should be open and using 18% of my CPU by itself when it is closed. Pushing my CPU to over 25% total usage when closed doesn't make me very happy, wondering if this is why some of my games have been running poorly.

• 3 months later...