Character randomly appears Underwater?

surg23

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help with a bizarre issue I have where my screen randomly changes to underwater vision complete with underwater sound. While this happens all other audio is muted. From what I can tell it only does this when the game loads in assets like NPCs but can't be certain on that.

I have also noticed other odd behaviour relating to bodies of water, where the water doesn't appear to render properly. Sometimes water can appear fine but other times it has a weird artefact around its perimeter. Here is what that looks like:

uGMYOPc.jpg

My only hunch at this point is that Fo4 does not like my graphics driver. But I've been hesitant to try other, older drivers as I have other old games that are very temperamental in what driver they work with. Currently using 472.47- Do not have Geforce Experience installed.

If someone could help me figure this out I would be very grateful.

I've seen the outline around bodies of water before. but, it isn't all of them..... which is weird. Mostly I see it on the little pond between Drumlin Diner, and Starlight Drive-in..... I have no idea what causes it. I only use Verdant Wasteland as far as texture mods go, and nothing affecting water..... I have seen it with my old GTX 1060, and also with my RTX 3070.... No clue what it's all about.

I've seen the outline around bodies of water before. but, it isn't all of them..... which is weird. Mostly I see it on the little pond between Drumlin Diner, and Starlight Drive-in..... I have no idea what causes it. I only use Verdant Wasteland as far as texture mods go, and nothing affecting water..... I have seen it with my old GTX 1060, and also with my RTX 3070.... No clue what it's all about.

Thanks for the reply, HeyYou.

Well it's good to know this isn't totally foreign behaviour, although all my search attempts have not returned anything relating to the underwater vision, which is worrying. AFAIK I don't have mods that would interact with water in any significant way. I don't run any texture or ENB mods either.

The funny thing is I used to run identical mods years ago and never had this problem. The only real difference being this time I use UOFP. It does seem to give the impression that it's happening when the game needs to load a chunk of data. Happens a lot around city areas and when crossing the thresholds of exterior cells.

For clarity, it seems completely random. Sometimes it will not happen for a long time and sometimes it gives me the flickering water-vision in short intervals or intermittent bursts. When it happens it only lasts for a brief moment, which seems indicative of an engine resource being loaded.

Other than that the game runs fine. Really decent fps, and virtually zero stuttering or lag spikes outside of those incidents.

Edited by surg23

Does it do the same thing if you start a new game??

Yeah this was a pretty recent new game start. I just reinstalled it and started a new game a few weeks ago using most of my old mods I had on my PC. I played years ago with an almost identical mod configuration and never had this problem. Maybe there was something in one of the game patches that screws with something, I'm not sure.

A patch screw something up? Oh come on, we all know that never happens..... :)

For the outline around the water, I was never able to come up with a fix for that. It randomly appears/disappears... no clue what causes it.

As for the flashing 'underwater' thing, that, No clue. Maybe a script running from some mod?

A patch screw something up? Oh come on, we all know that never happens..... :smile:

For the outline around the water, I was never able to come up with a fix for that. It randomly appears/disappears... no clue what causes it.

As for the flashing 'underwater' thing, that, No clue. Maybe a script running from some mod?

Yeah, that outline thingy tends to come and go for me also, but I guess you could say that's the least of my worries. By the looks of it I'm SOL and it's something I'll just have to live with. I should be grateful that it doesn't cause any stability/performance issues. Thank you for chiming in though. :smile:

Edited by surg23