Weird start up CTD

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

CruduxCru0

CruduxCru0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

So, it's been a few days right now and I'm encountering this real weird problem :

The game CTD's upon startup (more accurately, in crashes right when the "creation club"/"mods" options light up in the main menu.)

Buffout's crash logs says : "Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF62E5D8F6A Fallout4.exe+1AF8F6A"

The crash log stops right as it loads plugins : 

PLUGINS:
[00] Fallout4.esm
[01] DLCRobot.esm
[02] DLCworkshop01.esm
[03] DLCCoast.esm
[04] DLCworkshop02.esm
[05] DLCworkshop03.esm

(so apparently, it doesnt even load Nukaworld for whatever reason)
-----------------

Weird uh ?

Even weirder, I can sort of "fix" the issue by disabling mods... Any mods... Random ones. I could disable anything from a handful of settlement objects to a couple weapons or a wild mix of random stuff : If I disable enough of them, it just starts working again.

Any ideas guys ?

Full log :

Spoiler

Edited by CruduxCru0, 16 May 2022 - 08:27 AM.

romalight

romalight

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

i found this line at a site :

you may want to post your full error log as a spoiler in the Buffout 4 thread on the Nexus, and perhaps add it to this thread as well in a similar manner.

and also this :

https://silicophilic.com/exception-access-violation-in-windows-10-how-to-fix/

StormWolf01

StormWolf01

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,913 posts

Crudux, heyas :smile:

Ok, so I'm afraid that I wasn't able to find any info about those addresses which you posted in the error code.  I did however, find that you're not the only one who's had it.

But, from what you are saying about the game not crashing, when you deactivate mods, makes it sound as though you are at the game's hard limit for the number of mods your game will run.  Which is PRECISELY what happens when you hit the limit of 255 mods.  (250 if you have all the DLC).  And 200 (I think) if you are on Xbox, a measly little 100 if you are on playstation.  (On the latter, if you hit the limit, the playstation will tell you that there isn't enough space left on the hard drive!!! )  Errr, wait.  No.  That's if there's mods that screwed up your save games.

CruduxCru0

CruduxCru0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Crudux, heyas :smile:

Ok, so I'm afraid that I wasn't able to find any info about those addresses which you posted in the error code.  I did however, find that you're not the only one who's had it.

But, from what you are saying about the game not crashing, when you deactivate mods, makes it sound as though you are at the game's hard limit for the number of mods your game will run.  Which is PRECISELY what happens when you hit the limit of 255 mods.  (250 if you have all the DLC).  And 200 (I think) if you are on Xbox, a measly little 100 if you are on playstation.  (On the latter, if you hit the limit, the playstation will tell you that there isn't enough space left on the hard drive!!! )  Errr, wait.  No.  That's if there's mods that screwed up your save games.

Thanks mate, I'll try that. Have a great week.

i found this line at a site :

you may want to post your full error log as a spoiler in the Buffout 4 thread on the Nexus, and perhaps add it to this thread as well in a similar manner.

and also this :

https://silicophilic.com/exception-access-violation-in-windows-10-how-to-fix/

I was afraid this was going to be the case, but it's still kind of weird, I've heard of people running way more mods than me (I run about 290)  and I flagged as light as many as I could find. I may have to find out how to merge mods... Thanks mate.

Edited by CruduxCru0, 16 May 2022 - 08:25 AM.

StormWolf01

StormWolf01

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,913 posts

Hey again, Crudux :)

Yeah, once you start playing with a lot of mods in your game, the game starts telling you "Oh no you don't!"  LOL.

Actually, merging mods is BAD.  Unless you REALLY know what you are doing.  You can end up with a lot of incompatibilities, and bad files.  That, and sometimes the new merged files can't access the BSA files er... they're called BS2 files now... the way that they could as the original mod file.

One thing to check out is how to flag a .esp file as a .esl file.  This will help you out with adding more mods to your game.  HOWEVER:  you don't want to do that with mods that are Load Order Specific. Or mods that have a masters, other than the main .esm files.  (And yeah, that includes mods that are for creation flub content, because those are also ,esl files, so it's a no-no). 

The reason for that, is that the game engine will load .esl files in ANY order that it decides to.  So you can end up with the patch files loading before the master file, or mods that have to be loaded AFTER other mods, loading BEFORE they are supposed to.   This can also cause some issues with load order CTD, so I definitely recommend that you backup your Data folder prior to EVERY attempt to "esl-ify" the mods you have.

CruduxCru0

CruduxCru0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thanks for the info. But now, the plot THICKENS !!!

I tried installing Mod manager 2 to see what it has to say about my plugins and it turns out, my ESP+ESM total is below the 255 cap (I was at, like, 180 or something)

Soooo I guess it's not a plugins cap thing ?

Anyway, I'm going to try to re-download all my mods through Mod Manager 2, see if that fixes anything. It's gonna take a while, but I'll update the thread when I'm done.

StormWolf01

StormWolf01

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,913 posts

Well, I'm glad to post something useful, since it seems as though your discovery rendered my first hunch a total bust, lol  :laugh:

Reinstalling through a mod manager MIGHT be a solution.  However, it might also cause another problem.  If you use a mod manager that will automatically SORT your mods, you could end up with a problem with CTD, during your saves, loaded up with your old load Order.

So, hopefully before you start up on that, make a copy of your plugins.txt file.  Located in "C:\Users\Howlin Wolf\AppData\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt"

make a copy of that file, in a different folder, or on your desktop, so that you will know what your current load order is.  So that when you're re-downloading mods, you can reset the order back to what it was, rather than what order you downloaded and reinstalled them in.

This game is one fickle she-dog when it comes to load order, and mods :(

fraquar

fraquar

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are using both Buffout 4 and Baka Scrap Heap together?

Try disabling one and see if you problem goes away?

Added:  As a rule, I never use two mods which do similar things at an engine level (i.e. .DLL).   One has to go.

Personally, I use Buffout 4.

Edited by fraquar, 18 May 2022 - 04:48 AM.

CruduxCru0

CruduxCru0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are using both Buffout 4 and Baka Scrap Heap together?

Try disabling one and see if you problem goes away?

Added:  As a rule, I never use two mods which do similar things at an engine level (i.e. .DLL).   One has to go.

Personally, I use Buffout 4.

Indeed I was using both, tried disabling baka scrapheap and it didnt change a thing.

Well, I'm glad to post something useful, since it seems as though your discovery rendered my first hunch a total bust, lol  :laugh:

Reinstalling through a mod manager MIGHT be a solution.  However, it might also cause another problem.  If you use a mod manager that will automatically SORT your mods, you could end up with a problem with CTD, during your saves, loaded up with your old load Order.

So, hopefully before you start up on that, make a copy of your plugins.txt file.  Located in "C:\Users\Howlin Wolf\AppData\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt"

make a copy of that file, in a different folder, or on your desktop, so that you will know what your current load order is.  So that when you're re-downloading mods, you can reset the order back to what it was, rather than what order you downloaded and reinstalled them in.

This game is one fickle she-dog when it comes to load order, and mods :sad:

Well, I tried. Reinstalled all the mods, activated them one by one... and it still ctds... not as fast (so this could be a DIFFERENT problem, I guess)...

I think I'm going to give it a rest for now. I need some time :P

StormWolf01

StormWolf01

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,913 posts

Heyas Crudux.  Well...

Glad to hear that you've got at least a very small bit of improvement.

Is there any point that you can replicate, where it crashes now?  Or is it random?  Also, is it toward the start of play, (as in within a few minutes) of when you load your game?

And, have you tried this on a new, clean game?  IE: A new character?

I started getting some really serious, and I mean REALLY serious CTD problems, when I made some changes to my load order.  My dumb arse decided to go back in, and alphabetize my mods in their perspective categories.  Such as: Guns/Weapons A to Z.

After I did that, my game crashed so hard it would literally force the computer to try to reboot.  And in a lot of cases, the reboot would lock up.  It was really really nasty.

AND it would do that on ALL of my save games that had the previous load order.  

The crash would start at various intervals from the save load, but usually all within just a few minutes.  Sometimes as soon as I panned my field of view.

The only way I fixed it was to replace my plugins.txt file with a backup copy.  Granted that backup copy didn't have 3 mods that I'd installed since, written to it.  But hey.

If you don't have/make backup copies of the files that your mod manager makes for the active mods in your game, or you don't make backups of the plugins.txt file if you do mods manually...

You may be stuck having to start up all new characters, as those saves for your existing ones might now be beyond being able to be played :(

I hope, really hope, that's not the case for you.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.991 seconds