Making a new group in plugins tab

Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

If, as the instructions say, a masterlist group cannot be removed, and a masterlist rule cannot be removed, then logically no new group can be created and inserted in the chain. So what purpose does making a new group serve?

I have made a load of plugins for SkyrimSE that remove some of the tags that are inserted by VIS, but the rest of the tags I want to keep. These patches are in groups, each group patches a different VIS patch. The groups of patches need to be loaded in a certain order since some of them conflict. So I though to put each group of patches in its own group and then make rules chaining the groups in the order I want.

So putting aside any questions about my actual patches please, can I make multiple groups and insert them in the chain?

diziet

Guest deleted34304850

you can make as many groups as you need. in your example, i think this is a (rare) good idea for additional groups.

i'd suggest to search the forums for when people have gone nuts and added groups all over the place (because they're clueless), and seen the downside. but in your example - i think your approach is fine.

It doesn't look like this is easy do in Vortex (for good reason!) trying to edit the masterlist will cause it to revert every startup and adding an override in the userlist throws an error for duplicate entries.

There are way you could get this to work, but I'm not sure it's something I'd be happy supporting you in doing. Can you do this in the default LOOT app?

Guest deleted34304850

It doesn't look like this is easy do in Vortex (for good reason!) trying to edit the masterlist will cause it to revert every startup and adding an override in the userlist throws an error for duplicate entries.

There are way you could get this to work, but I'm not sure it's something I'd be happy supporting you in doing. Can you do this in the default LOOT app?

Don't you be opening the lid of Pandora's box Picky, no good can come from that! ;)

• Solution

My main point is still there, how to insert a new group into the chain? Unless you can have secondary chains that go around like this:

https://i.imgur.com/6LKjbAq.png

and if so, what does that actually mean for load order?

diziet

What you showed there should work just fine.

What it means is that

"test" would load after "Late Fixes & Changes"

"test2" would load after "test"

and "Dynamic LOD" would load after "test2"

"Dynamic LOD" would also explicitly load after "Late Fixes & Changes" which is implicitly the case anyway.

Meaning: The masterlist rule between "Late Fixes & Changes" and "Dynamic LOD" becomes redundant but it does no harm still being there.

If this isn't clear, maybe start thinking differently about what these rules mean. "b loads after a" means "b can't load before a". It doesn't say "b follows a immediately".

You can create new groups to load before the existing chain, after the existing chain and between any existing groups.

The only thing you can't do is change the order between predefined masterlist groups, you can't have "Late Fixes & Changes" load after "Dynamic LOD"