Strange Issue with Crashes

mmahoun

I have an issue when I am around a couple of areas my game always crashes. I have this loaded on two different computers and it happens on both systems. One system is still running SSE pre AE, the other is an AE playthrough. Whenever I am around Kynesgrove the game will crash. The same issue happens in Markarth as well. I can sometime enter Markarth but it will crash at some point. If anyone has had this issue or have suggestions I would love to hear them. The game is modded.

Thank You.

With SLE recently, my level 151 Bard (Triple Legendary), and a level 8 Cleric, always crashed on entering Understone Keep in Markarth. I updated some old mods, as most hadn't been updated since 2013 to 2015, and all that did was bork Dual Sheath redux, despite updating my skeletons and redoing the patch etc. My shield was under my feet!

So I removed that mod, and it's patch, and a few others, and still no help.

What was causing it was the official High Res Texture packs on my 10 year old system. Disabling those let me get inside the Keep, and re-enabling later works fine.

Many years back, I used to get CTD in specific areas, due to several mods editing or adding spawn points in that cell. As I approached the Standing Stone and Stormcloak Camp near Whiterun, I would CTD as I approached a sabre-toothed cat. I would inch towards it, and BLAM! at exactly the same spot every time. I could avoid it by walking round in a wide arc and kill the necromancers at the stone, but if I then went back to that spot, BLAM!

Approaching Solitude was another.

So that's my experience: either your Graphics are higher than your system can handle under momentary extreme load, or you may have too many mods editing things in the same cell.

Luckily, adding a ; and a space before the mod name in PlugIns.txt is all it takes to disable graphics mods, which can be re-enabled later. Unless you use a Mod manager. I never do, so I can't help if you use Vortex, NMM, MO or Wryebash.

Sadly, multiple mods that edit the same cell at spots too close together can be harder to fix. It might need a decision to just remove the offending mod, IF you can work out which one is the problem.

A note on many, frequent saves: I never use Quicksave, as that always overwrites the same save slot. I open the console with ` and type:

Save Bard-151-25 and increment the save by 1, Save Bard-151-26, Save Bard-151-27 and so on. I do this before opening a door, before opening a chest, after finding something useful, after killing a few things and so on. I don't want to CTD and find my last save was an hour ago! Nor do I want my only save to be broken. I crashed during a save recently and could never reload it. The image for the save was all multicoloured snow. But I had a save that was made 30 seconds earlier, so all I had to do was re-mine the corundum node!

The Cleric is now level 19, so I type Save NordCleric-019-09, Save NordCleric-019-10, Save NordCleric-019-11 and so on.

`

up arrow shows the last save (if you've made one this session, otherwise you must type the whole thing)

backspace

change the last number (or last two is it's going from, EG, 29 to 30)

Enter

`

and it's done.

I prefer this as it's easier to find things if playing several characters, and saving seems to be a little quicker.

But my game is much more stable now and I can enter Understone Keep with no problem.

Good Luck!

:smile: