OBLIVION RELOADED MISSING .DLL FILE: WIN 10 or OBSE ISSUE

jwoltz

My recent post - OBLIVION RELOADED STOPPED WORKING - yielded no coherent responses. Meanwhile, I have discovered a clue. According to the generated OBSE log file, I am getting a message that says " Oblivion Reloaded failed...unable to load, missing dependent .dll file(s). This, despite the fact that the correct Oblivion Reloaded .dll file is indeed present in the Plugins folder of OBSE. OBSE 22.1 is reading everything else in the folder including Stutter Remover...everything that is except Oblivion Reloaded 6.5.0. I have done everything I know how to do - different versions of OR, OBSE, compatibility mode for different earlier versions of WINDOWS, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, changing load order both within and after bashed patch, and more. Nothing works. Are there any "experienced" computer wiz and/or gamers who can help me solve this issue? And NO I am NOT willing to run this without OR as it has features which are highly immersive to the game play. This all resulted from my building a new custom gaming computer and upgrade to WIN 10 from WIN 7. I've been playing Oblivion for 15 years and have come too far to give up on this now. There must be something I'm missing in having reloaded the game. Starting a new game also makes no difference so that clearly rules out any sort of legacy within the save-game files. A big thank you in advance to whoever can solve this!

I have some few additional ideas, but they are just wild guess:

1. Are Nvapi.dll and D3dx9_43.dll libraries present? First one is part of Nvidia drivers and second one is from DirectX June 2010 redist. Both should be on C: drive.

2. Maybe will help to disable some security measures like DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for Oblivion.exe, obse_loader and OblivionReloaded.dll. or some antivirus/Defender protection just for Oblivion directory, if possible.

3. You already mentioned that you tried other versions of OBSE, but versions above 21.00 are new xOBSE. Did you try also the originals (v 20,21)?

4. Is at least OblivionReloaded.log created and are there messages in it?

Thank you for your reply. I have installed under WIN 10 system both the Nvapi.dll and D3dx9_43.dll files which were not present. DEP is currently set to ONLY WINDOWS and system files. I have already tried OBSE 21.0 which didn't help. I currently don't have my file for 20.0 as Alenet has pulled everything from NEXUS and I haven't been able to find OBSE 20.0 anywhere else on the web. Yes, an OBSE log is being generated each time I fire up the game, and I continue to get the same message that Oblivion Reloaded was unable to load due to "Missing.dll file(s)". Fired up the game...no difference. Not sure how to turn off DEP for Oblivion, etc. in WIN 10 so that has yet to be tried.

Edited by jwoltz

In what way you installed these two libraries? Generally they should be already installed by Nvidia drivers and DirectXJune2010SDK redist. They need also be registered to Windows, but it should be already done by their installers - and if for example D3dx9_43.dll was missing it could mean that there's no June2010SDK installed at all. You can also try copy them directly to OBSE/Plugins directory and hope to OblivionReloaded.dll finds them, but I'm not sure. Also they must be 32-bit versions.

DEP settings are OK - they are same as Win7 default, so there shouldn't be any problem as they aren't affecting any other program.

There's also no need to search for OBSE v20.00 as I confirmed that with v21.00 this plugin is working just fine (I'm still using this version).

However you didn't answer question about OblivionReloaded.log file - was it present? It should be in the same directory as obse.log itself.

And lastly - are you using ENB or some part of it? I remember that it can force Oblivion to use its own version of d3dx9 library although this is switched off by default.

Edit: Using Process Monitor I found that D3dx9_43.dll is searched for in Oblivion directory there Oblivion.exe is located and also in Windows/SysWOW64 directory (on my Win7 64bit) - so it isn't OBSE/Plugins as I anticipated.

Edit2: And nvapi.dll seems searched only in Windows/SysWOW64.

Edited by RomanR

Yes, Oblivion log file was/is present. That's how I learned what the problem was with it not reading the Oblivion Reloaded .dll file. No, I'm not using any ENB...don't like them. I discovered a mistake in my placement of the system files. Based on your info, I now have them correctly placed. I'm also going to switch back to OBSE 21 and when all is done, will test and let you know the outcome. Thank you again. Let's hope this works!

EDIT: Nope. No dice. I reinstalled OBSE 21.4, have all files in place and...nothing. I have no idea.

Edited by jwoltz

I must admit that I ran out of ideas too. I would only suggest that you download Process Monitor yourself (it's part of Sysinternals and is named procmon) and run it. Look for lines containing Oblivion.exe, maybe there is something what I overlooked. Searching for procmon is easy, just type "procmon" in Google search.

OK, another try with Process Monitor and also peeking into OblivionReloaded.dll directly revealed (at least I believe so) all libraries that this plugin could use:

NVidia drivers and DirectX 9 related:

nvapi.dll - found in Windows/sysWOW64 directory

nvpowerapi.dll - seems not present on my computer within windows, but OR is working without it

nvd3dum.dll - found in Windows/sysWOW64

d3dx9_43.dll - found in Windows/sysWOW64

Others are standard Windows system libraries:

version.dll
kernel32.dll
user32.dll
advapi32.dll
ntdll.dll
crypt32.dll
ole32.dll
It is searched on my system with Win7 64bit and using NVidia v362.00 drivers (I have very old GFX 960 card). It seems also helping copy Nvidia and DirectX libraries straight into Oblivion directory (except nvapi.dll, it seems searched only in sysWOW64).
Edit: Although nvpowerapi.dll is present in OblivionReloaded.dll, Process Monitor didn't find search or use of this library.
Edited by RomanR

Thanks, RomanR for the info. All files present and accounted for. Just got done testing...if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Still not working. This is just too weird for words. But, thanks again anyway.

Oh damn... But I have one last idea: are you using 32bit version of d3dx9_43.dll ? The 32bit one has length 1998168 bytes and 64bit is 2401112 bytes long on my computer. They have same names, but you can't use 64bit version with 32bit app, which Oblivion is. If it fails again, I really have no clue, what could be wrong.