How to transfer Skyrim with mods to a new OS

Inkz

I am looking to upgrade my A8-3850 to a 4670k and am wondering how I would be able to transfer it to a new SSD/ be able to access it from current drive. I would be getting Windows 7, the same as before but will be doing a clean install to a new SSD. I will still keep my RAID 0 array of 2 750GB HDDs wich currently house everything. Can anyone help me?

Copy your Skyrim folder (In Steamapps/Common) and your Nexus Mod Folder (Should be in your main drive under a folder called "Games", I'd check but my PC isn't working).

Just copy those two folders and when it comes to reinstalling Skyrim and NMM, all you have to do is paste the folders.

I strongly recommend the OP uninstall all the mods he/she has in their current Skyrim installation before doing the upgrade and re-installation.

If they just copy the folder with all of their downloaded mods and load up a new install of NMM... The Mod Manager is going to report all of their mods installed on the new Skyrim when they are obviously not. Having them uninstall all of their mods in their current Skyrim is to prevent the new NMM from getting confused and thinking the older mods are already loaded since it can't tell the difference between a fresh and older install of Skyrim.

Also if it makes a difference I also use SKSE which is not from the nexus, and just a few non nexus mods. So how would I get those mods( really would not like to do some digging as I have some files in their pretty deep.)

Those mods will be in the Skyrim/Data.

When you reinstall NMM or Wrye Bash or whatever you use, it should just detect whatever mods in you have inside the Skyrim Folder.

As long as you copy the Skyrim Folder in Steam/Steamsapps/Common you should be fine.

It worked for me a while back.
This is what I did.
1. Copied the entire Skyrim folder inside Steamapps and the NMM folder in your main drive onto a backup HDD.
2. Installed the new HDD and the OS and all that hoopla.
3. Pasted the Skyrim Folder and the NMM into where would it would install.
4. Installed Skyrim via Steam, it detected the files that already exist, eliminating the download process (it took a while though)
5. Installed NMM and made sure that the folders and everything are correct. When I loaded up NMM it detected all the mods I had installed.
Edited by mikejaxer

Thanks for all the support, I did notice that I forgot to put this in the technical section, sorry. Also I do not have the parts at the moment so I will try that method when I get them.

No problem.

I probably shouldn't have to say this but just in case you forgot, be sure to copy the Skyrim folder in your Documents/My Games.