CTD in specific locations, should I start a new game instead?

hugh1602

I am having a lot of CTDs near specific locations (Falkreath, between Merryfair farm and Treva's Watch, etc), and NPC's face often glitch out (floating eyeballs and such). Since its being really unstable and hard to find out what is causing the issues due to having many mods, should I just start a new game to reinitialize everything, so that it might runs better? I have been using the same save from having almost no mod to more than 100 of mods, and I have deleted some mods in the process which I heard is a bad practice. Or maybe reinstall the game?

Reinstalling the game would only help, if your game files were corrupted somehow. You should check your game files in Steam. If Steam doesn't find anything, then there's no need to reinstall the game.

Caution: Steam likes to replace your .ini files. If you want to keep them, make a backup before letting Steam check/redownload the game.

Your problems could be with your save game, but they could also be mod-related. Id' suggest starting a new game and testing the locations, where you usually CTD. If everything works in a new game, it's probably time to start over. If the CTDs occur with a new game, too, there's a problem with your mods setup - which should be solved.