Question about the modding possibilities in No Man's Sky

Undernier

Hey everyone,

So I was considering starting creating mods for NMS but haven't had time to look in details at game files and, before I do spend a lot of time doing that, I'd like to know if an Idea I have is even possible.

The idea would be to tweak the portals, teleporters and freighter summoning mechanics so they are a bit more immersive.

Things like:

• Freighters would take some real time hours to travel from one point to another in the galaxy. So that, if you find yourself on a planet on the other side of the galaxy from your home base, there would be some kind of cooldown (maybe based on distances if we can calculate them) before you can summon the freighter.
  • Make it so that your can't summon your current ships after going through a portal, without removing the ability to find wrecks and/or buy new ships at your new location. (kind of an improved version of how the portals worked before they changed it)
  • A maybe simpler alternative to the previous point would be to just not automatically summon your current ship on the other side of a portal (without actually removing the mechanics and ability to summon them)
  • Tweak base/station teleporters so that they would have a maximum range for summoning your ships. Like using a telporter in a local system would bring your ship with you but not if you teleport to another system (where in "reality" the ships would have to warp to get there).
  • Tweak base/station teleporters so that they would have a maximum range to be used. Like if a destination is 10,000 light years away you wouldn't be able to use a telporter to get there (you'd have to warp or use a portal instead).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Having scoured every Mbin looking for a way to lower pirate attacks, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that you would need a script injector to do any of that and there is not one for NMS that I have seen. A lot of the ship options are baked into the engine and not editable through mbin files.