Custom banners

SterkOks

I want to make a banner (like the banners that flap in the wind in Nordic Ruins, Imperial and Stormcloak camps, etc) that has a custom logo or design on it. I want the same features with just a different picture, sort of similar to to the Imperial Standards. Is this possible and if so how easy is it?

As far as mods go this one falls on the simple side, but you will need NifSkope and BSAopt to accomplish it.

First open BSAopt and navigate to here in the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa

Export any one of the banner models you want, they are prety much all the same with different textures as far as I know

Now, you need to open up the file you exported with NifSkope. Find the "BSShaderTextureSet" node for the NITrishape node that the banner is made of

Assuming you've already made your textures, place them in the appropriate path then update the "BSShaderTextureSet" with the new textures (IE Replace the stuff below with the relative path of your textures)

After that you just need to save the nif in a place you choose in the skyrim data directory. After that, clone an existing banner in the CK, rename it and change it's model to the one you just made and it should work

I haven't done this specific thing but have made other more complex mods and am fairly confident this would work for you.

EDIT: Also note that any torn banner effects etc, come from manipulating the alpha channel of your diffuse texture, if you dont put any alpha on it, itll be a solid rectangle so you may wnat to put alpha on the edges to "fray" them appropriately if the banner is supposed to look weathered

Id recommend extracting an existing banner texture to get an idea how they did it.

Cheers

Edited by vampyresix